sixteen

"You'll be coming back once a month to keep me up to date." Mr. Tomlinson tells Mr. Rodgerick as Louis sits in the carriage by himself. The muse doesn't look up from his lap, and clenches his fists as he listens to his father's heartless tone. He's holding back tears as his sisters whisper his name to gain his attention, probably to wave him off and mouth their love to him.

He refuses to look at anyone, but he does peak under his lashes when he hears a familiar, deep voice amongst the servants. In front of the crowd, yet not too close, stands his lover. He looks pained, upset, and helpless. As Louis' father gives Mr. Rodgerick directions and orders, Harry anxiously bites his lip but his eyes widen slightly when he catches Louis' eye.

"Safe travels." He mouths, and Louis longs for him to join. Perhaps, this time, they would be able to spend more time together. Mr. Rodgerick sits in front of the carriage, and grabs the reigns.

"I will send a letter when we've reached Port City." He tells Mr. Tomlinson, and the man nods. Louis glares at his father, but Mr. Tomlinson is unfazed. Through the window, he glares back at his son and points at him.

"When you come back, you'll be the owner of the Tomlinson Company." He mumbles. "I'd prefer to sell, but I made your mother a promise and I won't let a lovely woman like her down. I expect you to come home more refined, and ready to be married. Understood?"

It takes him a few seconds, but a reluctant yes is forced out. His father seems pleased enough, and nods at Louis' butler to head off. Just as the house disappears into the distance, Mr. Rodgerick opens the partition into the seating area, and puts his hand inside. Louis wipes the tears from his eyes, and stares at the folded paper in the butler's hand.

"Mr. Styles requested that I pass this on." Louis takes it instantly, and opens it without regard and too much anxiety. The sloppy cursive eases his heart as his eyes skim the letter.

Louis,

I am deeply sorry that you are being treated this way. While I cannot speak for you, I intend to write to you often. Please do not forget my affections during your time away, as I am genuine and true to my feelings for you. Do not act hastily, and keep a calm a mind as you work and court Ms. Williams.

I will be here when you return, and will be waiting for the night you lay with me. Work hard, make the right connections, and return a new man. Please look, and expect a letter from me at least once a month. I hope you send me one with Mr. Rodgerick.

Yours truly,
Harry

When he arrives to Port City, Mr. Roderick takes him past the hotels and towards a large house in the center of the business district. Here, lawyers, doctors, established priests, and establishment owners work and live together. The family friend Louis' father mentioned, Mrs. Walker, is a woman of high regard and took over the family business after her husband died with no sons to leave it to. Fighting social and patriarchal norm, Mrs. Walker stands out as a rich elite and influential figure in Port City. Her business is local, but does well with clientele and reputation.

"Mr. Tomlinson." The old woman smiles, and Louis bows.

"Please," he says as she shakes his hand, "Mr. Tomlinson is my father."

"Nonsense." She motions for Mr. Roderick to enter with their belongings, and leads Louis inside. "You're here to learn and make a name for yourself. You are the next Mr. Tomlinson. Take pride in your name, it may be all you have one day."

Louis says nothing in response to her advice, and decides that it's best that he doesn't ruin his father's reputation as a caring and great man. She shows him around the house, and motions to the building across the street. "Over there is Mr. Smith. He handles the banking for everyone here so don't overstep with him."

"Yes, Ma'am." Louis nods.

"I know you've done an apprenticeship for three years when you were young. You were about eleven, weren't you?" Louis nods. "Why another one?"

My father doesn't want to see my face. "I was under my father for that one. I believe he wants me to make more connections this time around, that's why it's so short this time."

Mrs. Walker hums, and takes him to the kitchen as a maid pours two cups of tea. "I heard you'll be taking over the company fairly soon. I didn't expect your father to let it go so easily."

"I believe my mother held him to it." He chuckles softly, and looks away as the image of his mother's body flashes in his eyes. He wonders about the new infants, and whether they are being given the proper attention.

Mrs. Walker motions for him to sit at the kitchen table, and thanks the maid as she puts the tea in front of them. The older woman sips hers, and Louis follows her actions. He hums at the calming taste, and feels himself relax slightly. Mrs. Walker says nothing for a minutes as they sip from their cups, but she is watching the young man the whole time.

"Your father runs are very lucrative business. I'm excited to see what you do with it." She finally says. "In the mean time, I've heard that you're courting Ms. Williams."

"I am." Louis confirms though the words taste awful in his mouth, and the lie he's about to tell is already drying his pallet. "I find her extremely knowledgeable, and beautiful. She'll be a great wife, and partner for me."

"Is that so?" Louis nods, and Mrs. Walker giggles slightly. "Hopefully your face will come to learn to match your words one day."

The muse blushes, and puts his hands on his cheeks to cool them down. The old woman laughs more at his cuteness, and assures him that all arranged marriages start this way. Her free, nonjudgmental aura brings ease to Louis' spirit at a time when everything feels suffocating and isolating. Perhaps, he thinks, this won't be so bad.