CHAPTER 24

Chapter 24 — In the Middle of Preparing the Luggage for the Journey

Yan Mo saw that Cao Ting understood and beckoned Yuan Zhan to come over.

“Does the tribe raise animals? Horses and cattle, those kinds of beasts.”

Yuan Zhan did not understand why he was asking this but still replied to him, “There are sheep. Every year during the fall we capture a herd, raise them till winter to eat, then catch them again next year. Horses and cows are not good to raise. Capture them, and they will die quickly after.”

“How would horses and cows be hard to raise?” Yan Mo hearing this phrase immediately knew it was wrong.

Think about it, the cows here were not enormous. Their horns were abnormally sharp and they were super strong. Not to mention the tribe’s hunting method was outdated. They still did not know how to use traps and only knew how to throw a spear or use a stone to smash it first. Finally, they would rush up and chop it with a stone knife. So usually it would require the higher ranked warriors to group together in order to kill an adult cow.

And because horses were fast and were always on guard, so far it was rumoured that only the Bai Ri Tribesmen have a special method to tame the horses into doing other things. The tribes nearby also heard that a few of them could ride the horses. In many cases they also had a lot of meat from killing them. 

To the people here, relying on nature to raise livestock is considered rearing and breeding. For example the Yanshan Tribe and Yuan Ji Tribe were almost the same. During the fall they captured sheep and other herbivores and herded them all into a big pit. Everyday they would use grass to raise the half dead animals. During the days food was sparse, they would kill off the weak and feeble ones first. They continued to do this until winter, then the following year they would go out and catch more again. Like this, the cycle came full circle.

Diao who was not far away spoke strangely, “ Can Yanshan Tribe raise them then? They also have the blessing of the Horse God? I thought only the Bai Ri Tribe were descendents from the Horse God.”

Currently all the people here knew that Yan Mo was from the Yanshan Tribe.

“Eh, I heard it from the Bai Ri men who came to trade salt. I more or less know how to raise them.” Yan Mo responded without a better idea.

“What?!” Da Shan and Diao were very much startled. “They would actually tell other tribes about the way they are raised? But that’s their biggest secret! Then did they tell you how to make those horses listen to them?”

Yan Mo… nodded his head.

Yuan Zhan’s expression was subtle and did not block the juvenile. The people in this tent would not harm him. Wait for them to leave the Tribe. Go far enough and when the juvenile would showcase something peculiar, they would not be able to run back to the tribe and inform them.

That’s right. Yuan Zhan did not inform his good brothers that this time going out, regardless whether it was fruitful or not, he did not plan on coming back.

If he came back, no matter if they found the new salt land or not, the old priest would definitely find him even more unpleasing. Towards Xi Rang clansmen the old priest opinion was becoming more and more rotten. Even though right now you couldn’t see the old priest’s clear rejection of the Xi Rang clansmen, but in the future who wouldn’t know.

Meanwhile, if he died outside or perhaps didn’t come back, the old priest wouldn’t have a target to focus on. As a result, the chief would feel guilty for his clan. That way in the future, for the chief’s 3rd generation candidate, Xi Rang Clan would not be excluded. For the purpose of appeasing the anger from Xi Rang clansmen and Fei Sha Clansmen, the priest would also have no choice but to support the chief’s opinion.