Chapter 10: Midnight Calls

Warning: Read this when you are mentally ready for pain. It's okay to drop this fic if it's too much for you. I wouldn't mind and I'll feel tons better if my readers know what they are getting into...

☼ ☼ ☼

"Adeul, what's wrong?"

"Eomma, I don't feel good."

The gentle rustling of the blanket being pulled down filled the room as the mother checked for the source of her son's discomfort. Minutes later, the prominent sounds of retching could be heard in the room amidst the panicked voices in the bedroom. A gasp escaped the sister's lips when she discovered something she wished she never had.

"Eomma, we need to get him to the hospital."

"Your appa is working late at the hospital. Will you be alright at home?"

"Don't be ridiculous. I'm coming with! It's dongsaeng we're talking about."

"Arasseo. I'll get the car. Get your brother."

There are always moments in our life where we hear about death.

In news, at hospitals, at home, death lingers just as much as life does.

But the funny thing about humans is that we ignore death. After all, it is the easier thing to do. Who can live with the idea of death looming over our heads even though we know death is always present?

When we hear stories of a child succumbing to cancer, or grandparents leaving the world without a warning, we get sad.

In an oddly detached way, humans get sad hearing these stories in passing because the true grief can only strike when it involves a person you love personally.

We get sad because the child deserved to live a long life. We get sad because those who died deserved to leave their life behind when they were ready.

Except...no one is ever ready for death.

"Eomma? I'm scared."

"Let's wait for the results, sweetie. You're going to be fine."

It is true that one can never be prepared for their final face-off with death.

So, when you are told you may not have much time left in this world, you feel like everything is crumbling around you. It is as if the whole life you built is wasted because you are told your time is shorter than the rest.

And then you start to think, there's so much you wanted to do. You can't leave yet. Not like this.

Isn't it crazy how fast your life can take a turn for the worse when you least expect it to?

"It's Acute Myeloid Leukemia."

And another funny thing about humans is the mentality that that will never be them.

You hear stories all the time but you never think that slim chance of it happening will ever include you.

That is...until it hits you or that someone dear to you.

That night, a family was torn apart by the news they never thought they would have to bear.

In the wee hours of the night, Hyun Bin's family rushed him to the hospital when his temperature skyrocketed once again. Between vomiting at irregular intervals and the alarming bruises his noona discovered on his back and torso, the family was overwhelmed with worry for their youngest.

At the hospital, a doctor was sprinting down the corridors of the VIP wards before he hurriedly pressed the button to the lifts. On the ground floor, the few patients who were still awake and the hospital staff on night shift gave way to the doctor, knowing that there could be an emergency.