Chapter 1- The beginning

'ZIA!'

I woke up, groaning at the voice of my annoying brother's voice.

'What the shuck do you want you-'

'Oh my god you responded.'

'Of course I did.'

'No time to explain, are you okay? They took you away unconscious.'

I snapped my eyes open at that and looked around me. I was in a white room that had a wooden desk and chair in front of a door. Everything was pure white except for the desk and chair. The bed I was lying on was in a corner away from the door, the room being small and nobody was here other than me. Not a single soul.

'Tommy?'

I asked, not bothering to keep the panic away.

'What's wrong? You're not hurt, are you?'

'Why am I here alone? Where are you? Where's Minho?'

'I don't know. I don't know. I'm alone in a white room, I woke up here.'

I could feel Thomas's frustration along with his panic and fear. I bit back mine.

'Okay, okay. We're going to be calm. I'm in a white room too, there's no one else here-'

The door to the room opened and the man I hated entered with a smugness.

"Hello, Lyell."

'Zia? Zia, what happened?'

"Why am I here? I thought the trials were over!" I yelled, glaring at the man I once called father.

'Tommy, listen to me. Everything's going to be fine. Repeat that when you're panicked.'

"That's no way to treat your father now, is it?" Janson smirked. He sighed and sat on the chair behind the desk.

"Father? You dare call yourself my father?" I snarled.

'Zia, what's wrong? Why aren't you answering me?'

"Cut the connection with Thomas. Or else, he'll suffer," Janson held up a tablet that showed Thomas pacing in his room, holding his head in frustration. I watched him punch the wall, probably bruising his fist.

'Tommy, listen to me. Don't hurt yourself, I can see you right now.'

Thomas looked up at this, frowning and searching for a camera, finally finding it.

'I'll find you. Remember, Ad infinitum. We'll be okay. I have to cut you off, or else Janson is going to hurt you.'

'No, no, no. Don't leave me.'

I winced at his hurt and panicked expression.

'I'm so sorry. Forgive me.'

His expression turned into anger, and he flipped Janson off through the camera.

"This little-"

"Stop. I cut him off," I interrupted. "Are you happy now?"

"Of course I am, how can I not be?" the man grinned at me, reaching out a hand to pat me on my head.

I caught his wrist, glaring at him and shoving it away from me.

He sighed in response, leaning back and fixing his watch.

"What do you want?" I growled. "Haven't you done enough? Sending your own children into the maze? Making them fight for survival in the Scorch?"

"Oh, Lyell. Your temper never is fixed, is it?"

"My name is Zia. Not some other shucking name you gave me while torturing a kid." I stood up from the bed, approaching the man.

"You don't understand, I gave you both names. And you accepted them both," Janson sneered.

"Well, too bad. I don't like that other name," I smirked too, crossing my arms across my chest.

"Why don't we make a deal?" he leaned forward, hands clasped.

"I don't want to make a deal with a rat," I spat.

"Oh trust me, you're going to love this one," he smiled.

"Don't smile, it makes me sick."

"I'll help you," he announced. "You will not have to go through the trials anymore."

I had to admit that his dealing was getting to me. But that didn't mean I was wary of the consequences, or what he would demand back from me.

"In return I will?"

"You will cooperate. You will accept the name Lyell. You will treat me as a father, and as the faithful daughter you were. And most importantly, something that will benefit both of us, you will expand your limits as our Lune," Janson stated the terms.

So I had to desert my identity, put up another show, and be their lab rat. Great.

"It's your safety in return for your cooperation," he shrugged, obviously knowing what was going through my mind.

"Do you even know what the difference between threatening and dealing is?" I asked, amused.

"It's your choice," he gave a smug look again, one that made my fist itch for his face.

"What does it mean, me being Lune?" I asked, pressing down all violence deep inside me, away.

"You recall the fight with our invention? The Grievers and the-"

"The human like lightbulb monsters," I nodded.

"That was only a glimpse at what you were capable of. And you still are," he sighed.

"And it's because I'm Lune," I stated.

He nodded, and then reached his hand out again, putting it between me and him.

"Do we have a deal?"

I struggled with the conflict inside. How could I betray the others and work for this man? Even if it was for my safety, even if it was for my mentality, I wouldn't do it. I couldn't do it.

"No," I stood up confidently. "I won't help you, not in a million years."

"You have made the wrong choice, again," Janson got up and moved towards the door, about to leave. "Last time it cost your memories and your previous life. This time, it will cost more."

A/N

Hello. This is the final book of the Just Smile series, and it will uncover many secrets as well as answer questions given to me by some of my readers. 

Enjoy!

LJ