Chapter 21

*Still third person pov. It's easier to write fight scenes.*

Thomas skidded to a stop as he cried out her name, then dropped to the ground to make himself a smaller target. Tendrils of lightning-like electricity snaked across Brenda's body, then dwindled to smoky wisps as they raced out along the floor.  

The other three had obviously seen the disastrous turn of events and given up on the plan. They were running toward him as they continued firing. Jorge had made it to the Berg and disappeared up the hatch, but he came out again, shooting a different kind of Launcher; its grenades exploded into spouts of raging fire when they made contact. Several of the guards screamed as they erupted in flames, and the others pulled back a little because of the new threat.

 Brenda's face had gone completely white; blood dripped from her nose and drool trickled from her mouth as her limbs spasmed and her torso seemed to bounce in place.

Newt and Minho reached him, dropped to the ground, while Zia continued firing the Launcher Minho had handed her.

"No!" Thomas shouted. "Keep going to the Berg. Take cover behind the hatch door. Wait until we start moving, then cover us. Fire like crazy till we get there."

"Just come on already!" Minho yelled back. The energy had weakened considerably and Minho was able to stand and begin pulling her along behind him.

Thomas hooked his arms under Brenda's shoulders, and Newt picked up her legs. They backed their way toward the Berg. The hangar was a world of noise and smoke and flashing light. A bullet grazed Thomas's leg: a hot score of pain, then oozing blood. An inch difference and he might've hobbled for life or bled to death. 

"Keep going Tommy, I got this," Zia yelled, noticing that her brother was getting distracted. They were all prone to being shot, but Zia was still fighting, trying to cover for them, as the boys dragged the girl to the Berg.

"Zia, to your right!" Jorge hollered.

"Got it!" Zia yelled in response, shooting the guard with the revolver in the right shoulder. He screamed in pain before collapsing.

Thomas stole a glance at Minho; the boy's face was strained with the effort of dragging Brenda. Thomas harnessed his furious surge of adrenaline and took a risk, lifting his Launcher up from beneath him with one hand, firing in random directions as he used the other to help pull Brenda across the floor. They reached the foot of the hatch door.

Jorge immediately dropped his huge weapon and slid down the ramp to grab one of Brenda's arms. Thomas released his hold on her shirt and let Minho and Jorge yank her up into the ship, her heels thumping against the raised traction molding. Newt started firing his weapon again, releasing grenades left and right until he ran out of ammunition, covering Zia who was reloading while running towards them. 

The guards in the hangar clearly knew that their time was about to run out, and a horde of them sprinted for the ship and opened fire once again.

"Forget reloading!" Thomas shouted. "Let's go!"

Newt turned and scrambled up the ramp. Thomas was right behind him with Zia at the rear. The twins were nearly there when Tommy got struck by a lightning grenade, blue bolts dancing across his body as he convulsed.

"Tommy!" Zia yelped as the boy slid.  

The girl looked on with horror as the boy's eyes were wide open as his body lay convulsing.

"Playtime is over,  Miss Lyell. Surrender," a guard pointed his Launcher at the said girl's head.

"I don't feel like it," Zia smirked before slapping the Launcher up, towards the ceiling, where the grenade stuck harmlessly. 

More shots rang in the air and three guards appeared above Thomas, aiming their guns at the boy. They quickly disappeared as two blurs tackled them, Newt and Minho, each straddling a guard and beating the living klunk out of them. Zia's soft brown eyes were replaced with an icy death glare as she took the third guard out, slicing here and there, wanting to kill the guard and losing control over herself. 

When she glanced back at Thomas, her eyes flashed blood red for a second, so quick, that Thomas had to wonder if he was imagining the color change. He didn't care. He just wanted out of this place. And escape was right in front of him. 

The boy crawled towards the hatch door of the Berg as his friends and sister beat the utter crap out of guards near them.  He reached the lip of the ramp, pulled himself over it, inched up the slope. His muscles ached and nausea climbed out of his stomach.

The noises of battle pounded his ears, put his nerves on edge; something could hit him at any second. He made it halfway. Zia, Newt, and Minho were backing toward him, all three now firing. Minho had to stop and reload, and Thomas just knew he'd get shot or blasted with a grenade. But he also knew that his sister wouldn't just watch that. His friend finished and started up again.

"That's it!" Jorge yelled. "Grab his butt and drag him in!"

Thomas felt hands pull at his shirt, felt lifted through the air. Then he slammed back down just inside the hatch door as it sealed shut and the locks engaged.

"Sorry, Tommy," Newt muttered in his ear. "Could've been a bit more gentle, I 'spect." 

Minho rolled his eyes, trying to catch his breath as Tommy grunted and passed out.

"Gentle? And then be exterminated in the most painful way possible? Nuh uh."

"Boy's got a point," Zia pointed at Minho, smirking a little.

"I always have one," Minho smiled before scanning the girl for any injuries.

"Yeah, right. You're sometimes pointless," Zia teased lightly.

"And you love it," Minho retorted.

"What makes you so sure?"

"Alright, enough of your yappin' and lovefests," Newt interrupted. "I don't want to have to vomit."

"Better than us dying," Zia put her head on Minho's shoulder, tired and the adrenaline washing off.

"She put her head on my shoulder!" Minho whisper shouted to Newt, eyes wide and happy.

"I can see that very well, thank you," Newt whisper yelled back. He was grinning, though, happy to see that his best friend was finally with a girl who cared for him as much as Minho cared for her.

"Are-" Jorge appeared from the cockpit, looking at the couple and Newt. "Oh."

"Sh, she's sleeping, I think," Minho grinned.

"Well, put her on a sofa or somewhere like that, not on the ground next to the wall," Jorge scoffed.

"You're right. For once," Minho gently cradled Zia, lifting her and putting her on a large sofa near the currently knocked out Thomas and Brenda.

The girl didn't even stir.