Chapter 2

“An overturned bus.” Lizzie crossed her arms and shot a look at her sister, who looked away quickly, pretending to be fascinated by the book on her father's shelf.
Alaric swallowed grimly. “Full of tourists. The police can’t figure out what started the fire -” 
“Black magic,” Josie said. She set her hands on the back of one of the chairs they were all too nervous to sit in.
Alaric nodded. “I don’t know of any earth magic that would flip a bus full of people, turn them into bloody goo, and burn the scene beyond the capabilities of fire.” He leaned back on his desk and sighed. “It lines up with your dream." That was what the twins were waiting to hear. "But neither of you has to worry about the bus or Hope, alright? Just leave it. The police and the staff here are working on it.” 
“Wha -” Lizzie opened her mouth in disbelief, standing up straighter to protest.
Alaric spoke again before she could. “In the meantime, you two should be getting ready for the first day of classes, and I should be finishing up my speech.” He shooed them from his office as they started to argue, closing the door behind them. 
Back at his desk, he pulled out the police report Matt had given him and compared it with the spells Bonnie sent him. Whatever magic Hope had been learning at the Mikaelson Academy was nothing compared to what she was learning at the Salvatore School just a year ago. This was darker - much darker - and the more Alaric thought about it, the sicker he felt.