Chapter 3

*My ride in hell*

"MANALIII!!"

..shrieks Mom hurrying by my side to help me up and than the chair which so shamelessly gave me away.

"Are you okay?" comes a deep concerned voice from across the hall.

Oh! I almost forgot, it is J, who is standing causally in my living room looking at me..wait a sec..is there a hint of amusement on his face? Could it be possible that he is laughing at me like he used to when my clumsiness made my face redder than a beetroot? Even in my embarrassed state I realise that this is the first time he is speaking to me after that fateful night eight years ago. I swallow a lump forming in my throat and give a slight nod in answer.

"When are you going to learn to behave like a proper lady?" criticises Mom "You are almost 19 but you still behave like a kid sometimes". No Mom please, not before your daughter's crush. At times I wished she could read my mind.

"Okay go get ready now. Jay will take you to college today in his car" she mentions like no big deal.

Are you kidding me? There is no way I'm going to sit besides a guy enclosed in small space of a car having spent half of my life chasing him openly.

"Mom.." I hesitate and steal a glance at J who seems to be engaged in checking out the living area taking mental notes of whatsoever changes made in all his years of abstentions.

Mom follows my gaze "Jay beta? Andar aa jao. Why don't you sit comfortably as Manali gets ready?"

"No, it's okay Aunty. I'll wait in my car" says J taking cue from me but than he gives me a small, wily, almost undetectable smile..like a lion challenging fawn to enter its den.

"Okay Mom. This is not happening. I am not going to college with J in his car!" I say as soon as he is out of earshot, panic in my voice palpable.

"But why not? Didn't you said you had important lab test to attend?" She counters.

Oh! Screw the lab test! I want to yell right now. But I control the urge as I know it will only make matter worse.

"Mom." I take a deep breath "J and I are not in talking terms" I make face like 'Do you get it now?'

"So? He is just giving you a lift. And it's not even lift as he goes to same college as you, doesn't he?" she asks suddenly unsure.

"Yes he does..but...but...oh you don't understand!" I wail in helplessness.

"Don't be such a fuss. Your Dad felt so guilty to leave without you that he had to ask Jay to give you a lift. And Jay didn't seem to mind...and why should he? As it's not much trouble as you both attend college" She pauses to take a long look at me "What's the matter with you? You and Jay used to get along like house on fire"

That's the problem Mom: 'used to', I sigh inwardly.

"Now go get ready, I don't want Jay to be late because of my ziddi daughter" she says putting her foot down.

I still feel so dazed that I remain rooted in my spot. But one glare from Mom and I'm back in my room.

~~

"WHYYYYY???" I scream in shower.

As water begins dripping down my shoulder anxiety starts sinking in. I'm not at all prepared for this sudden imposed rendezvous. How am I supposed to face him? What should I say to him?

'Hi! How are you doing?" I practice the opening line before mirror as I change into my dark blue jeans.

"Hi! So you turned out fine!"