Chapter 19

*Hello Neighbour*

I find Mom sitting on couch with her hands folded on her lap.

Something about her composure sets me off as I scamper towards her but stumble on my way on box that is lying out of nowhere. My eyes drift around the living room and I see many such cardboard boxes.....some are packed and sealed, some under process of getting sealed.

"Manali!" Mom calls snapping out of her own trance "There you are!" she says in false excited tone "Come. Sit" she pats on couch coaxingly.

A new kind of dread descends over me as I take careful steps towards the couch dodging the idly lying boxes which I had clearly missed noticing when I rushed out of house this morning.

"There is something we wanted to talk to you about since.. sometime" she begins. Oh! no Mom not today please I want to plead to her cause I have already exhausted my shock absorbing capacity for the day.

"I wanted to tell you earlier but was waiting for you to get better.." she says "you see..due to recession lot of people are loosing their jobs currently"

"Dad got sacked?" I interject bewildered.

She looks up at me appalled at my choice of words. But I wouldn't care less as that is the truth, isn't it?

"Yes he lost his job..if that is what you meant" she says in sad euphemism.

Wow! Just when I thought nothing in this world could baffle me anymore God giftwraps more surprises for me.

"Since when?" I inquire huffing.
"He had two months prior notice..which has expired. Remember that conference he went to last week? It was actually a job interview" she states guiltily.

"So he got the job?" I ask hopefully.

"It's tentative. Right now they are hiring him for a month or so only then they will sign the contract" she sighs. I glance at her aging face and growing circles around her eyes. I had seen them whispering amongst themselves conspiring something behind my back but could never have guessed they would be battling such grave issue.

I couldn't take it anymore as tears start to spill from my eyes freely "Why didn't you tell me?" I wail loudly. Seriously, why am I always the last person to know important things directly relating to me? Or like Komal said earlier maybe I am a stuck up Bitch.

"We didn't wanted you to worry dear. We wanted to tell you at right time when everything had fallen in place" she cups my chin and wipes my face but tears don't stop. When will they ever do?

I slump on her lap and my whole body shakes from sobbing. "Mana, I'm sorry" Mom carcasses stroking my hair. It's not you, Mom, it's me and my messed up life, I lament in self pity.

"So where are we moving to?" I ask after gaining enough strength to speak again. She pauses for a moment studying my face.

"Its not we" she says her face ridden down with pangs of guilt "Its just me and your dad"

"Whhhaat"

"You can't leave your studies behind" she explains "It's just for one and half years till you finish graduation. Then we will be together again"

I can't believe this is happening to me all in matter of few days. I lost my best friend and now I'm losing my home..

"So where am I supposed to live till then?"

~~

My heart sinks as I climb up the stairs of three storey building towards my new accommodation.

Dad had assured me in the car that the apartment he has chosen for me is cosy and furnished and the building is welcoming. He said with guarantee that I would love it.

I hated it. Right from the time I laid my eyes on it. The cracked cheap paint on stairway is anything but welcoming.

Any remaining teensy weensy hope I have vanishes as soon as I open the door to the apartment. I stand in what I guess to be living hall made up of a scoured worn off sofa which occupies most space, a reclining chair, a table lamp and within two strides I could reach to the attached kitchen. So this is what he must have meant by 'cosy' I grumble.

The single bedroom has single cranky bed, a study table, wooden wardrobe and thankfully separate shower.

"So how's it? Do you like it?" Dad asks pulling the trunk containing my books and other necessities behind him.

"Umm yes" I lie with great difficulty. But it doesn't fool him.

"Mana, I know it's not great place but right now this is best I can afford for you. I'm really sorry to let you down" he says heartbreakingly.

"Dad please..I really like it, okay? And it's not like I have to spend rest of my life here. Its matter of just..few months till I finish college"

As I say this fear creeps inside me realising that I'll be alone in true sense for the first time in my life.

Mom and Dad would be moving to Bilaspur tomorrow which is 8 hours long drive. Initially they wanted me to stay in girls hostel but there are no vacant rooms available as it is midterm.

I promise Dad that I'll take care of myself as I bid him goodbye.

I walk Dad down to his car and watch him leave in his sedan which I never thought I'll be missing travelling in it so dearly, pretending to laugh at his jokes while silently rolling my eyes at his naivety.

Oh God! I'm going to miss my parents like hell. It hits me suddenly like high tide drowning me down with it as I climb up the heavy steps towards my new desolate home. Fight the tears Manali, fight it.

~~

Unpacking my belongings keeps my mind from wandering for a while. But then I finish too quickly and the gloominess returns. I decide to take shower and cry under it for a change but I get distracted by some squeaky noise coming from somewhere.

I scuttle in living room and hear squeaky noise coming from door. Someone is knocking on the door unusually loud for the quite surroundings.

I sigh in relief but then my senses go on high alert. 'Who could it possibly be?' Of course there is no peephole on the door to find out.

Knock.knock.

I draw a heavy breath.. after going through everything I had what can possibly freak me out? Maybe it's just Dad who must have forgotten something or must be missing me already so came back to check on me.

As the door creaks open an apparition stands more like relaxes before me. I let out a gasp as my heart leaps up in my mouth.

"Hello, I was wondering if I can borrow some sugar from you?" says the ghost in unmistakable smooth silky voice.

I gawk at him with open mouth.

"Oh sorry, I didn't introduced myself properly. I'm your new neighbour. I shifted today..right there" he points out at opposite door

"My name is Jay Singhal" he says extending his tattooed hand "but everyone simply calls me" he pauses and his kohl lined eyes lit up mischievously

"J"

***