Chapter 25

I let Rose sleep for about 10 minutes before shaking her awake again. Even if she wants to rest forever, the reality is that we have to make our move before all of Stowe's awake.

The door to the tower is unlocked, making it easier for me to drag Rose out. We have to hide somewhere in the grounds until it's safe enough to return to the school, if ever. Both of us could be prosecuted for murder, and will be, given that we are old enough to be in prison for a very long time.

"Lean on me," I mutter, realising that there will be no other way.

We make painfully slow progress, me supporting Rose as she hobbles along the path. Going through the trees would be safer, but I don't think Rose could make it, with the rough floor and the debris from the wind and trees.

She and I, well, mainly I, look out for places to stop and rest. My sister isn't going to be able to keep going much longer, with her knee screwed up and the lightheadedness caused by blood loss.

Eventually I discover a decent resting place, make sure Rose is hidden, and run off towards the school. They don't think I'm a killer - they don't even know Emily is dead. Missing, but her body hasn't been found.

Yet.

I reach the edge of the hockey pitch, take a deep breath, tie my hair up, tuck in my shirt, smooth my blazer, and stride out up the path.

Nobody stops to question me. Nobody even realises who I am, and to be honest I'm not sure if they know I was missing. Just the way I like it. Incognito.

I fit in so easily here. Before I even know it, I am in the doorway, inside, walking down the corridor to where I left my bag, picking it up, checking the timetable and walking to architecture, where I pull open the door, walk inside and take my seat at an empty desk.

This is the first lesson of the day, and not everyone is here yet. Olivia is, and somehow very surprised. That I'm here? Yes. That I'm alive? Yes. That Emily isn't back yet? Yes. Sometimes I'm just full of surprises.

Hirah walks into the classroom and sits down at the desk next to me. "Evelyn! You're alive! What about Rose?"

"She's okay. I left her hidden nearby, but I didn't think I could bring her back just yet."

"I was so worried. We were told you were with Matron, but I visited twice and you weren't there."

"Hirah, you saw me being dragged away by Olivia and Emily. What made you think I was with Matron? I almost died, thanks."

"Sorry. Also, if any of the teachers question you for being back early, tell them that you made a shocking recovery."

"Okay. Will do."

We both sit back up and get our books out when the teacher comes in. He takes the register, as usual, but lingers over my name.

"Evelyn? Back so soon?"

Remembering what Hirah said, I manage to choke out, "I made a quick recovery, and they let me out early."

The professor seems satisfied with my response, and starts teaching. As usual I pay no attention to the lesson, trying to figure out who started the lie that I was with Matron.

Could have been Olivia or Emily, trying to hide the fact that I was locked up, or maybe Dr Wallersteiner, trying to hide the disappearance of another of his girls.

Either way, it's not true.

A knock on the door draws me from my thoughts. The deputy is standing there, tapping his pen on his clipboard impatiently.

"Can I have Evelyn Hyde, please?" he asks with fake politeness. I take a deep gulp of air, pack my books away and walk over to the door.

I know that this time, I'm in serious trouble.