Confrontation

The cool breeze drowned against the open sky, falling to the depths of the earth with a cool mist. The sun stretched into the sky with a drowsiness. The morning dew sat on the pine needles of the nearby trees and maple leaves lept off their branches to cover the ground. Birds were silent, and so were the rodents and bugs. Nothing spoke in the forest, except men. While haunting, it was almost akin to sacredness. However the blood that rested on the forest floor, cried out against those who would feel such comforts. A sense of the deceased ever gazeful never left that of an aware traveler.

Dyan softly moaned as she laid with Nathan. He kissed her neck, and stared into her eyes. He gave out a small huff as the two made eye contact. Dyan's eyes sparkled, the sky blue eyes almost appeared to have a star in their array. Nathan couldn't help but give a small smile. A smile which Dyan reciprocated.

When they had finished, they began their day properly. Nathan put on his armour and secured his belt across his waste, his dagger nearby his hip. He put on John's gloves, and wore the pendant John had retrieved from Sir George's corps. His chops had grown out, but had not grown nearly as much as his beard. His hair was longer and sinking to his ears in a shaggy mess, which he combed back and groomed.

Dyan wore her hair in a long braided tail. With pride, she placed the necklace over her bosom. Her hand hovered over the ruby stone which was near her heart. She recalled their day in the market, Nathan's reluctant nature, and high complements. He appeared to change quit a bit from that moment in time, he was more open now than then. She looked over her dress, wishing she had something more suitable for forest terrain. She sighed, placing the fabric over her body.

"What's wrong?" Nathan replied, turning his head back as he finished fastening his belt.

Dyan smiled, "Oh nothing, but I like your beard, it looks good on you."

Nathan nodded, "Well, we have a heavy day ahead of us. We have at least three days left of travel. If we can cross."

Nathan was cut off as Dyan placed her finger against his lips, she came in closer, and kissed the man. Nathan didn't share the same motion. He slowly pushed her back, "Dyan, this is not a safe place, I don't want either you or I to die in this place. Do you understand?"

Dyan looked away towards the ground, disappointed at the man's lack of love. Nathan's hand grabbed her chin, forcing eye contact with his steel grey eyes, "Do you understand what I'm saying?"

"Yes," Dyan sighed, "I just want to stay in this moment forever..."

Nathan tuned her out. He didn't care. She was young, she would learn. He didn't want to listen to her insistent wining. Nor did he care to hear about her complaints. He looked the woman in the eye, nodded and heard her last words.

"I just, want it to last forever. What do you think?" Dyan asked, her eyes sparkled with care, and her outpouring of love was so strong, it could be felt.

"I think we need to survive. Times like these will have to wait. Until then, we fight and we never give up." Nathan placed his hands on Dyan's shoulders, "We have a promise to live for, let us not throw it away on fleeting moments."

"That doesn't really answer my question." Dyan pouted as she put on her dress. She just wanted to know if he had spare pants. If they could possibly use some other material so her favorite dress wouldn't be ruined.

Nathan took a step out side, announcing his purpose "I'm taking a piss. Scream if I'm needed."

Nathan began to relieve him self, his piss hitting the floor of the woods in a steam. Fall was coming and summer was at its end days. Dyan would turn seventeen here shortly. He had never asked the day of her birth. He shrugged, not knowing if he should care.