Prologue

Jane White's POV

I sat on the frozen bench in the cold park and blew into my hands in an attempt to warm them. Glancing up, I clocked my two kids, Sully and Kara, playing on the swings with Kara's bestfriend, Hartly. But then I noticed something was wrong. Sully, although he was running around, had a distressed look on his face and seemed to be looking for someone. Kara crouched on the floor next to Hartly, who sat on a swing crying her eyes out. I looked around for her mum, Alison Sonnos, but I couldn't see her, and started to walk over.
As soon as I stood up Sully spotted me and ran over: it was me he had been looking for. "Mama, Hartly's mama died." He said in his matter-of-fact way, and I was taken aback. Dead? I sped up to a jog and soon reached the small girl crying on the swings, Kara crouched next to her murmuring something.
"Hartly?" I asked in a gentle voice, startling Kara with my sudden appearance. "What's wrong?"
The young child continued to sob, the deep breaths she took in an attempt to speak shook her whole body.
"My-mum-is-g-gone!" She burst out, struggling to breathe, before a new, fresh wave of tears took over her. I hugged her tightly and rocked her back and forth, murmuring comforting words. Finally she began to calm down.
Kara and Sully had run off and were now playing a round of tig, seemingly forgotten about Hartly. Hartly looked up at me with her clear blue eyes, and said in a matter-of-fact way she had picked up off Sully.
"My mum's dead. She's over there." She pointed to a nearby bush, trying desperately to not start crying again. Tentatively I walked over.
I rounded the bush and there, behind it, was Alison Sommos, lying splayed out across the frozen, leaf covered ground. Her arms and legs spread wide, a trickle of blood ran down from her head. By her body was a large club, smeared with blood. No breath came from her.
Suddenly, I felt empty. Alison and I had always been the closest friends, and now she was gone. Her husband, Michael, had died a few years a go. Hartly now had no-one.
In that moment I decided to help her, to raise her as my own. As always with Dauntless, little forms had to be signed. Hartly just had to say she would like to live with us and it was done.

And she extended out family slightly: Sam, Sully, Kara, me and now Hartly.