Chapter 10

The next morning, we are awoken at 6 by the sunlight from the sunrise pouring in through the transparent walls and ceiling, bathing the room in orange and pink light.

                And the alarm clocks.

                None of us wanted to get up though, so most of us didn’t. Only Sarah got up, while the rest of us lay in beds, hiding under the blankets from the sun which was taunting us to get up. Finally, when Karen appeared and started shouting at us all, we rolled out of our beds and got ready.

                We’d discovered yesterday that in the draws of our desks was what I’d begin to think of as ‘initiate uniform’. It was unisex, simply a pair of black trousers and a black t-shirts. There was also a white jumper if you wanted it, and a white wristband which was compulsory to wear, to show you weren’t trying to be like Dauntless. We each had 6 sets of this, as well as another outfit, identical but in inverse colours (white trousers and top, black jumper and wristband).

                Thinking I could keep my Dauntless outfit if I wanted, I put it back in the draws. As it was almost identical to this, minus the white jumper and wristband, I reasoned I could wear it, as long as I wore something white along with it. I struggled out of my clothes, glad for a change, as we’d all slept in our clothes last night. I wondered why there weren’t any pyjamas.

                Trying to hide my tattoo, I switched over my t-shirt and trousers then went over to the sink, which was by the podium, and cleaned my teeth. I splashed some water on my face but when I glanced up to see Johanna glaring at me, I picked up a sponge and carefully wiped my face, cleaning it the Candor way, rather than doing a quick splash n’ rub, like the Dauntless did.

                For the next hour and a half we talked, played games and read. Maisy and Georgia, the two friends that had transferred from Amity, were the first to climb up the rope ladder, and after that the rest of us were fighting for a go.

                In the ‘upstairs’ (up-ladder, more like) section of the dormitory it was slightly cooler but the view was magnificent. From there, it was possible to see the entire city. Right the way from the factionless housing to the very edge of the Amity fields was clear, and I watched as a train made its way round the tracks and past the Dauntless compound. I could never figure out why is made a round this early, none of the Dauntless ever woke up before 8 o’clock.

                At half past seven Karen arrived to take us down to the cafeteria. She seemed to have gotten over her seething rage at Johanna, but she still refused to speak to her or generally look in her direction if she could help it. However, when Johanna tried to sit at her own table again, Karen grabbed her arm and dragged her over with us. Johanna sat sullenly next to her for the meal.

                While we all munched away at our cereal, Karen cleared her throat to get our attention.

                “Right then initiates,” She began, and everyone put down their spoons to listen to her. “Today is your first day as Candor initiates.”

                Harvey and Ed cheered, shouting in girly voices ‘woohoo!’, and the rest of us laughed light-heartedly at their antics. Karen gave a smile but waved her hand at them and they silenced.

                “As you know, the first stage of initiation takes place in the glass room, otherwise known as the upstairs dormitory. I am going to take you up there one at a time, put you under the truth serum and question you. You will have to try and withhold the information I am asking for, maybe even try to lie to me.”