Chapter One: Up And At 'em

What am I still doing here? Tonight marks the end of the Kromagians' yearly fast. Outside these walls, under a crescent-waning moon, the world is burning under Nite's terror behind these protected walls. I'm getting too comfortable with the security of my country. Days here continue like they don't remember the invasion force Ivaran tried to pull off. The soldiers remain on high alert, but their patrols have dwindled over the days. Groups of five are down to two now. I trust the guardians to hold the line, but seeing fewer soldiers doesn't make me feel better about everyone's security. Maybe whoever is giving out the orders knows something about what's going on out there. Whatever the case is, I eventually need to get my ear outside this safe bubble I live in.

The door to my room opens and closes behind me. I quietly close the drawers in front of me to hide the two of Ulrika's gifts and check over my shoulder to find her white shirt damped to the point I can see through it somewhat. She plops on the bed the lets out a long-winded sigh before waving hello with her fingers.

"What happened to you?" I ask, moving to the center of the room to look less suspicious but focusing her attention on me to keep her surprise hidden until tomorrow.

"Boys happened," Ulrika says, sliding her sword against the bed wall. I cast fire orbs to all the candles within the room to take us out of the dark. "They went crazy the moment the sun went down. Drank beer till their heart's content."

"Did you have any?"

"Heavens, no. You know I stopped drinking the day I confessed my love to you."

"Then why are you wet?"

"Because," she pauses to take her shirt off, including the bandeau. "They slammed their cups together, splashing it mostly on me." She pulls off her boots, pulls down her pants, then stands close to me. Her body reeks of beer, but I don't mind the smell since it has a rosy aroma. "How bad is it? I've gone mute to the smell."

"Manageable."

"Shit," she says through her teeth, walking off towards the bathroom. "Is there fresh water in the tub?"

"Yup! Here, take this." I manifest an orb of dancing flame and float it into her palms. "How's the heat?"

"It feels good. Thank you, Kaio." She drops it into the water. It slowly ignites as if there's oil floating on top. The water bubbles for three seconds before becoming still. She sloshes the water around and then says to me while chuckling, "This is perfect." I avoid watching her strip naked, but I stand in the doorway to take a quick peek to engrave her sacred physique before heading to bed. Her muscular back is facing me, so I settle on that beautiful image to put in my mind to sleep with. "If you're going to stand there, you might as well come to help me wash."

Suddenly, I'm not feeling tired. The offer is unnegotiable. I kneel behind Ulrika and take an extra sponge from a stool table to my right. She dumps water on her head to clean her hair first. After that, she lets me do all the cleaning. I start on her back, carefully lathering it with a soft touch.

"Why are you being so gentle?" Ulrika asks.

"Do you want me to be rougher?" I finish coating her back with soap, then she turns around, putting her right leg over the tub.

"No. You're doing just fine." I examine her wet body, going beyond the water to see the rest of her. "Mhmm." She taps my chest with her foot to put me on the right track. I grab her by the ankle and kiss the top of her foot. "Whoa, Kaio. Most men wouldn't dare lay their lips there."

"Well, it's clean. Plus, it's my wife's foot." I kiss the same area a second time.

"I remember you saying you like my feet. I didn't think you like'em that much."