Chapter Nine: Incognito

One Week Later

Ulrika's family servant and teacher, Vanessa, keeps me company as we roam the new family estate while Ulrika spends time with some of her brothers and their mothers.

"You're a swordsman, yes?" Vanessa asks. "Is that the only weapon you know how to use?"

"I've trained to use multiple weapons. My mother made sure of that," I say.

"Your elven mother, right?"

"Mhm," I nod. "She made sure I understood nearly every tool for my trade."

"I'm glad Ulrika chose a man like you. You're perfect." I glance up at the ceiling, picturing the sky and the gods smiling down at me.

"Thanks," I chuckle. 

"Kaioson," Evelina shouts down the hallway from behind me. Her voice echoes from the lack of furniture and open space.

"Yes?"

"My daughter wants to see you!"

"We'll finish our conversation another time," Vanessa says quietly in my ear. Vanessa continues down the hallway while I go to Evelina.

"So, Kaioson," Evelina says, nearly laughing between her words. "It's been a few months since you married my daughter."

"You want grandchildren," I guess.

"Children?" She gasps with her hand over her mouth. "I was thinking of one, not two."

"I promised her daughters."

"D-daughters?!" Her voice somewhat echoes in the room. "My Ulri wants two girls?"

"Yes," Ulrika says, leaning over the second-floor railing. "Hello, darling. Is my mother bothering you?"

"No," I chuckle. "Your mother says you want me."

"Come here." She uses her wind magic to create an upward thrust to bring me up to her. The perfect manipulation of the air makes the trip smooth. Not once do I become unbalanced.

"I could have just used the stairs." We greet each other with a single kiss and a tight hug.

"I couldn't resist."

"Ulri, no magic in the house. You'll knock things over," Evelina scolds.

"Yes, mother. It won't happen again." Evelina points her finger at her as she walks away down a different hallway out of our sight. "Oh, Kaio," she sighs with her head down. "It pains me to say this, but I'm ready to leave."

"But," I say, checking out her regular clothing. "You don't look ready."

"So do you," she says, nudging her elbow into my arm. None of us look ready to leave. We're out of our gear. Our weapons are locked up in the armory. Nothing is packed for the road ahead, plus I can see in her eyes she's not keen on departing.

"We'll leave soon. Spend more time with your family."

"With all that time I spend, I can't help but think about yours, Kaio." Her delicate voice makes me more alert to what she might say next. "We should go visit your mother."

"Right now?"

"Why not? We can find a mage to teleport us to Kromagia."

The idea doesn't feel bad. I do miss my mother. But the problem I'm facing is the lack of a want to go. If I go, there might be a high chance I'll never want to leave. The peace there is protected by high walls with guardians at each gate. I don't think Nite will dare attack that land again. The Shemoreites have to fight every day to keep Nite from gaining ground. Even though the fight is hundreds of miles away, the entire kingdom is under constant worry.