Chapter Ten: Blood and Chaos

Ivaran takes his eyes off Ulrika and me to put them on, Drake. My heart is beating hard enough to feel the pulse on my wrist because of Ulrika's tight grip. He walks into the room making his way over to Drake. Ulrika is about two feet behind Ivaran. She keeps her eyes on me while I watch him closely while he gazes up at a bookshelf.

"Hello, sir! Has something caught your eye?" Drake asks.

"That green book with the faded spine," Ivaran answers. "What does it say?" Drake flies up to it to read the name.

"Oh! It's one of mine. Are you looking for knowledge of Drow culture?"

"No. I already know their history." He points at another green book at the end of the top shelf. It's also green but doesn't have a worn-out spine. "Read me that?"

"Sure think." Drake snaps his right finger. The book flies out and into his hand. "Another one of mine," he chuckles. "Fungus for enhancing positions."

"Does this sound like what you want?" He says with a raised voice.

"Let me see," a woman says with her body halfway in the door then walks in. The woman isn't a fairy. She is a young-looking woman and has pure white hair. The only two I know that have hair like that are Vahloin and one of the Kromagian tribes called Fireaeayhs (Firey Eyes). Vahloin comes from them.

"Here," Ivaran says. He hands Drake a coin and tosses the book to the woman without looking where to throw it. The book stops in midair at an arm's length from her face. It opens up, making a crackling noise as the pages unstick from each other. "You two."

"Hmm?" I say without thinking.

"You two are giving me an odd sensation." Ulrika's lips tighten as her eyes bludge. The eyes are glued to the book. Every few seconds the page flips.

"Uh, we... we're..."

"We know magic!" Ulrika blurts out, suddenly letting go of my wrist. She swirls her fingers in a circle to blow the air in the room. "See? I'm still learning the basics?"

"Same," I say to play along.

"What can you do?" Ivaran asks as he takes a step closer to me.

"Ivaran," the woman says, slamming the book closed without touching it. "Come. Pay the fairy. Let's head on to the asylum"

"Yes, my lord," he says, bowing, then follows her out into the street, heading left. Ulrika and I sigh in relief nearly at the same time.

"What the fuck?!" Ulrika shouts in a quiet voice. "Gods, my heart is racing right now."

"Was that another Paragon?" I ask.

"We're in for a fight for our lives. We need to tell Haleema that Ivaran is here!" She reaches for her bag, making it reveal for her to see.

"What is going on? You two look troubled," Drake says.

"That man is the reason why there's a war going on," I say. "He's the cult leader of Nite."

"Seriously?" Drake says, scratching his head. "He comes here a few times out the month to buy my books."

"Drake," Ulrika says, tossing a portal ring into his fumbling hands. "Activate it with mana and step on the other side of it."

"I shall, milady," he nods.

"Perfect," she says, punching the first letter. "Let's go, my love."

"My... love?" Drake says softly. She heads out, but I stay to see his realization of finding out she's my wife. "That's your lady?"

"Yes," I laugh as I follow after Ulrika. "That's my wife."

The last thing I hear from Drake before closing the door is, "Shit."