Chapter 19 : Changing worlds

"What ?!! Wait, wait. Jayesh killed Joyce, not me, and I'm not dead yet!!!", I said as I felt my body again.

Yeah I wasn't dead. "And what about Jayesh?"

"Jayesh Malhotra ya... He's the Owner , co-founder and the CEO of Aspex Industries... He became the owner as the co-founder Omkar Jamadar, that's you- is not alive any more... A lot of stuff is written here actually", Vedant said as he gave me his phone.

"Hmm, it's been 7 months, I've been living here, idle at this so called Track 21. You give me food, water, everything. It just doesn't seem right. I've to do what is right and save my family."

"Do, as you wish. Either ways you've healed up enough. Come for a battery recharge if you need. I'll help you whether you need me. But just don't do any wrong things. I know this Suit isn't yours...

Still I feel it makes you better", he remarked.

"Thanks for whatever you've done for me. I'm really grateful. But I've to find my own path", I said as I prepared to leave.

"Make the creator of this suit proud !", Vedant said one last time...

[/Flashback]

The chase was finally over. I returned to my place an old warehouse - deserted, dusted.

I changed into my regular looks, wore a hoodie so as to cover my identity and walked out. The suit always remained with me - whatever be in my backpack.

I paused at a TV shop nearby. The T.V buzzed..

"Another superhero incoming as a vigilante who calls himself the Versatile has saved over 60 hostages at the North Ornet complex. Our reporter has tried to catch a glimpse of this new superhero..."

The scene changed to a footage of me coming out with the hostages. "This all-black matte armour comes with a highly weaponized suit. There's a green core at his chest which glows. Although, the colour of the glow keeps on changing, as for now we've seen green, purple and red in all the encounters the public had with him. As, he wears a mask, his identity is still a secret", I looked around. Many people had gathered around to see the news.

"Craze for superheroes is increasing day by day in India now...", the reporter continued. "With Phoenix Fighter, the Sky Warriors duo and now this new.. Versatile. What exactly is going on? Are they connected? Are they forming an alliance ? We hope we get our answers in the near future."

Ok. That was absurd. These are others too? I guess I should turn on the TV sometimes. I got myself a vadapav on my way. I bought about 50 fickle meals, 15 chicken fries. The manager gave me a suspicious look.

"I have a party tonight", I tried to explain.

I stuffed my bag with the food and went towards my destination. The slums. I gave the children the food and the adults - the required money. They seemed to be very happy. But soon, ther faces looked worried.

Again ?!

"Ok, time to take off" I remarked as I glanced behind. The police officers had surrounded me.

"We have covered this area from all sides. It will be better if you surrender", A voice buzzed. I dashed to the nearby tree And glided across them. "Whatever", I shouted as I ran off. Why do they even want to arrest me. I'm helping people, like that Robin hood.

I sneaked into a gully and removed my hoodie and kept it in my backpack. I decided to cool off in a hotel as I wore a jacket over it.

I ordered a paneer tadka and took out my phone out. No notifications. No messages.. but something else caught my attention.

"Vedant!", a girl called out to some boy who was running around. He stopped in his tracks and looked surprisingly at the girl. Wait, it was really him, Vedant.

I decided to greet him and was about to leave my chair until I noticed there was Akshit too with them.

"Avni ? seriously, you're Avni?!!", Vedant gasped.

"Ofcourse. Avni, your cousin sister", the girl said and started to laugh. Akshit wrapped his arm around her. "You don't..", he said.

"NO !!. How... how did this happen?!" Vedant now clutched his head hard. "Oh, fuck. Change in timeline. I did it again. Again ?!",  he was almost shouting.

"Language, Vedant", the girl -Avni warned. But Vedant started to leave as he kept murmuring something.

"Avni ! My dear sister", he came back and hugged her hard, tears rushing down his cheeks. Even Akshit looked confused by his weird behaviour.

"Bye, take care of yourself", Vedant rushed off.

"What the hell is wrong with him?", Akshit asked and noticed me staring.
"My brother is nerdy.. Like you !"

"Like me ? I suppose he doesn't know what weird things we've been facing since.."
"Actually, a lot of weird things are happening in his life too. His girlfriend died, there were charges against him..

Are you even listening ?", Avni was telling him, but he knew something was fishy about me. I tried to cover my face as he neared me.

"Hey, you, Uncle", he said..

"What do you want kid ?", I asked changing my vocals a little bit.

"Nothing", he said as he left. Maybe he thought my voice is different. Whatever.

I felt my head spark a little bit. Ow. Whatever, but Akshit looked pretty good and most importantly... happy. Maybe Jayesh takes good care of..

No.
No...he's a monster.
He, he is bad.
Jayesh can't change. I reminded myself.