AN UNEXPECTED VISITOR

Previously:

As they went to Qinghe, the demonic hand's posture suddenly changed as it now formed into a fist. This meant that wherever the hand was pointing at is just around the area.

General POV

Daytime came in a small town in Qinghe. At the gates of the town, the trio went for a walk in the main streets. The town was crowded with people doing their daily business. Amirul and Starise walked ahead to see the scenery with Lan Wangji behind them. 

As they walked further, a loud voice caught the siblings' attention, "Rouge and powder! High quality and cheap!"

Starise winced at the fragrance of the cosmetic as they went closer to the stall. Sensitive to strong smells, she backed away from it. Amirul, being the curious boy, picked up a cosmetic and glanced at the seller who wore the robes of a cultivator. And yet anyone from far would tell that this fellow is a fake one.

'A charlatan, huh...'

Noticing that Amirul seemed to be interested in the cosmetics, the charlatan immediately approached the boy. "Ah! Young Master, would you like to take a look?"

Amirul stared at the charlatan and smiled, "Yes, please." Convincing enough, the charlatan beamed and let the latter do his thing. He could feel the atmosphere change as he noticed the other two people behind the short-haired boy glaring at him.

The charlatan quickly distanced himself away from Amirul. Meanwhile, Amirul still had his eyes on the cosmetics in his hand, smelling them. He then decided that he wanted to buy it. The charlatan smiled, "Was it for your wife, Young Master?"

Hearing that statement, Amirul gave him a blank face while Starise turned her head around, coughing. Or should we say, trying to suppress her laugh? Lan Wangji, on the other hand just stared at the short-haired boy. "Do I look like I have a wife to you?" He asked the charlatan in a pissed tone.

The charlatan awkwardly smiled at the boy, trying to make up excuses. "Ah, of course not, Young Master." 

Amirul sighed and tossed a small pouch filled with the money that the people used. The charlatan gladly accepts the money and packs up a few papers, making Amirul raise his eyebrow.

"Thank you for purchasing my product. Here are some copies of the Yiling Patriarch." 

The siblings looked at the man, purposely asking him who is the Yiling Patriarch. "Who?" The charlatan spoke, "The Yiling Patriarch evil-suppressing portraits! One for the door, one for the hall, and one for your bedroom wall. It will make sure that no evil beings come to haunt you, even the spirit of the Yiling Patriarch himself."

What was on the paper was not the picture of the Yiling Patriarch that he knew but a malicious-looking figure like some kind of a Chinese boogeyman. 

KRIK KRIK KRIK

"Pft-"

Amirul snorted at the picture, thinking about how Wei Wuxian would react when he saw this. 'He's gonna be so pissed.' He thought. 

The charlatan heard the snort, "Is there something funny, Young Master?" 

Amirul waved his hand as there was nothing funny as the charlatan ignored him. Even though Amirul and Starise don't believe in superstition, the short-haired boy picks up the paper and stares at it.  Starise could see through her brother's shiny eyes that he wanted to prank his past self.

All she can do now is sigh as she walks toward him and smacks his head, making Amirul whine in pain. He glared at the Hijabi, "What was that even for, Star?"