Prologue: The Beginning

When I was 10 years old, I asked my parents the meaning behind my name: Ephemera. They told me that my name was taken from the word 'ephemeral' that means short-lived. My parents wanted me to remember that life was fleeting and time flies, thus I shouldn't take it for granted. At that moment, all I could do was to tilt my head in confusion, wondering what they meant by that.

As I grew older, life hit differently. Now I'm 20 years old, shouldering the label of being an adult, I missed my childhood so bad. Time seemed to flow like water down the tranquil stream, moving slowly, unaware of how far it had traveled. It was when those good times had become no more than memories, I understood my parents' words.

However, there's nothing I could do. Time passed and there's no going back. I'm left with the choice of moving forward, to live in a fast-paced life of capitalism, pressured by myriads obligations and expectations. At some points, I got exhausted from this marathon of life, longing to stride away from its track even just for a while.

Probably, that's the reason why I currently decided to turned on my laptop, getting ready to watch Hunter X Hunter 2011 as a way of escapism and reminiscence of my childhood days. Feeling of enthusiasm filled my heart's cavity in anticipation of watching, I couldn't help but to smile ironically. If only I had the same excitement in living my life as an adult, would things go a little smoother?

I was so invested in this series that I ended up spending several hours to binge watch it. I enjoy the trips of emotion that it gave me, as well as the unique characters that was introduced. I adore the brother-like relationship of Gon and Killua, while Leorio and Kurapika reminded me of Tom and Jerry. Not to mention, a certain mad jester named Hisoka caught my attention, as well as Illumi and Chrollo which I assumed as the adult trio.

A wide smile crossed my lips like how I used to be back then. This anime brought back a lot of memories, some felt like yesterday, but some I couldn't really remember. Though, the feeling of nostalgia was as clear as day.

Hunter X Hunter exhilarated me, but before I could finish the whole series, migraine attacked me like needles. Turned out my body couldn't handle two nights without sleep. So, I decided to stop at the ending of Phantom Troupe arc and went to sleep.

However, I couldn't sleep a wink since the pain on my head outraged me. My mother once told me that thinking something nice would ease the pain, so I let my mind wandered about Hunter X Hunter. Just like counting sheep, my mind was counting possible scenarios of the anime. It crossed my mind; how nice would it be if I could go inside the anime and went to an adventure with my favorite characters. I laugh it off. How futile.

Turned out my mother's prescription was potent. The migraine faded and I slowly drowned in slumber.

--

I found myself inside a pitch-black void. I immediately realized that it was a dream, since I could perfectly saw my body dressed in pajama, floating amid the darkness. I checked out my surrounding only to find an enormous wooden table with varieties of objects above it. I dragged myself closer to the wooden table, observing the objects that seemed like junks piling over each other.

However, beneath the junks, I saw an object differed from the rest, like finding a gem amidst the pebbles. I hesitantly reached out my hand, thinking how suspicious it was. I reassured myself that it was just a dream.

So, I took it right away. Apparently, the object was a familiar silver vintage pocket watch. I realized that it was my favorite pocket watch I got from one of my birthdays as a kid, yet I lost it. I recalled that I threw a huge tantrum when it disappeared one day after I took a short nap. I chuckled, wondering what it's doing inside a dream.

I observed the watched with pairs of curious eyes. There was no ticking sound coming out from the watch, but the covering lid was perfectly polished, looking as clean as a new one. Pressing on the watch's button, the lid sprang open and displayed the view of the kaput clock.

Suddenly, the clock's hand shifted, accompanied by a blinding light that completely engulfed me.

===

So that's it for the prologue. Stay tune for the next chapter! Don't forget to comment and vote ❤