The Flashback

FLASHBACK

“Hello?” My ten year old voice said, tugging on the end of Chris’s heart. I stood in the lobby of the very same apartment building I live in today.

“Well,” Chris said. “what do we have here? It seems we have a little girl who lost her parents, is that correct?” What Chris didn’t know is that he was right. I lost my mom and dad. Multiple times. But bouncing from family to family didn’t even faze me until about the 2 or 3 year.

“Yes,” I said, gripping the one teddy bear my mother had left me with. Chris bent down to my level.

“And who do you belong to?” He whispered. His smile was warm, like a summer’s day, or the month of August.

“I don’t really know,” I explained. “My biological parents are both- dead.” I gulped. I broke down, and explained how many homes I had been in and for how long I was in each.

“Well Janette,” Chris began. “I think I have the perfect people that would love to meet you.” Perfect. Something about that word just doesn’t roll off my tongue. Is it because it doesn’t exists?

Chris drove me to the Barns’ house. Their dog, Marley ran toward me as soon as I got out of the car. A tall man walked out of the house, seeing as Marley ran towards me instantly. 

“This si the girl I was telling you about!” Chris yelled, stepping out of the car. The tall man walked towards me and hugged me. He took a step back,

“Hello sweet heart,” He began. “I’m Al, and this is my wife Annabelle.” He motioned toward Annabelle, and she stepped forward.

“Hello gorgeous,” She brushed a piece of my hair back with her smooth fingers. “I’m going to take care of you, and I promise nothing bad will ever happen to you ever again.”

After that, we stepped into the old ranch house, and I was given the grand tour. There was a living room, with A Christmas tree lit and stockings above the chimney.  My room was light blue with clouds that dusted the walls like snowflakes. A large mirror hung above my dresser, and my name would soon be painted over the bed.

END OF FLASHBACK

I have since moved out of their house, only a few months ago. The day I turned 18 I wanted to make something of myself. So I packed my little belongings into a tiny box, and left. They often visit, leaving me freshly baked cookies or a newly knitted quilt. Annabelle loved to quilt.

I pull out my apartment’s key, place it in the lock, and the door swings open. On the floor is a new pile of mail, most of which is just fakes. ‘You have just won a free TV!’ one reads. Another, explaining how I am ‘eligible’ for a new house.

“Sure,” I mutter. “And then maybe my mother will come back for me.” I pick up the stack of mail, and sort through it. 2 bills for this month and a coupon for a free pizza from Tony’s, a place down the street. I stack the mail on the counter, and search for the silver TV remote. I find it behind a loaf of bread, and turn on the TV.

“Hot new band One Direction, now taking private gigs?” Say a news anchor. “This week One Direction was spotted in New Jersey, apparently not playing any major venues. Does this mean One Direction could be playing at YOUR next party?”

“Nope,” I mutter, switching channels. Don’t get me wrong, One Direction is a decent boy band. But fads are fads, and will most likely be just another lost cause. But hey- I’ll give them 2 more years. Maybe 3. I plop onto the couch and watch a few minutes of the news and a cartoon show about mice, before I hop into the shower.