Chapter Six

I didn't go to school next day. In fact, I didn't stay home at all

I was a little sick, probably had caught a cold and it didn't help with my condition last night. My emotional turmoil was also affecting me and I hardly slept all night, just thinking about what they said and how much of it made sense.

First of all, I'm surprised that a bunch of billionaires, who are obviously not afraid to spend their money if we judge by the private jets and large mansions, would only send fifteen thousand per month. I'm not complaining, I wasn't even the one to spend them but it still seemed a little off to me. I didn't want to pass as ungrateful, but the whole thing made me feel weird.

Secondly, if you count the ages, Jackson must have been around eleven or twelve when I left. Why was it only me that I left when I wasn't the only child in the family? It couldn't be based on sexism if none of the other girls left but it also didn't make sense they'd make me leave only.

And suddenly they want me back but half of them aren't even trying? The only ones who have genuinely tried to make me feel comfortable are Tom and Elizabeth but even them weren't trustworthy. I was afraid that they were acting for their own benefit. Call me crazy but I was scared. I didn't want to get attached to people for no reason.

I hardly slept the whole night, muffling coughs in my pillow. I gave up around 5 and walked to my window to face the world outside. Riri was cuddled on the carpet next to the window, sleeping peacefully.

Anne had told me I could go back but I had to stay and give them a chance at first. I no longer wanted after what I just learnt but I also didn't want to stay there. I felt like I had no place in this world, like there wasn't a place where I could settle and live peacefully and I hated that. I wanted to have a sense of familiarity and comfort and love so bad.

My room had a wonderful view of the grounds and the city with its glowing lights. The sky was slowly turning a bit darker from the early morning  and I found comfort at it so I dragged a small armchair close to my bed, grabbed a blanket and sat down. Riri woke up a little, her small eyes blinking tiredly after her nap and immediately jumped in my lap when she saw me.

I opened my phone and stared at it for some time. I wanted to do something, search, demand answers, do something. I stared at Anne's contact for some time, my anger making me shake. I wanted to call her and demand answers.

I stared at the call button for some time. My card was due to end tomorrow and I didn't have anyone else to call so I decided to do it.

I didn't even pay attention to what time it probably is in England but I didn't care. I wanted answers and i was determined to find them and demand them.

Anne answered in the second ring.

“Hello, Eva?”

I stayed silent for the first few seconds, not knowing what to say. Start crying? Say hello? Immediately start yelling and answering questions?

“Anne.”

She let out a dry laugh, “Not even calling me aunt anymore? I told you to give them a chance.”

“No,” I shook my head, tears threatening to spill already. “No, you don't get to do that. Not after you lied to me about everything and pretended to be a nice, godsend aunt when you were actually a piece of shit.”

I had never talked to her like that before but I didn't care. She deserved it. All of them deserved it for being so horrible for no reason.

“What's wrong with you?” she gasped in shock and I could hardly hear her over my anger and tears.

”I hate you and I hate your family who thinks it's okay to be so horrible instead of leaving me alone. All these years I felt bad, I felt bad about the fact that you had to raise me without money that I didn't even care that you were never there for me! And for what? For you to use me so you can spend money on whatever the fuck you want! And then what? Then I come here to people thinking they can control me and do whatever they want, like they didn't throw me away like shit! What kind of fucked up family you all are?”