𝑶𝒓𝒑𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒏 𝑫𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒎 (6)

It had been a while since I started trailing behind Nana. Both of us didn't say a word after leaving the house.

I was getting more anxious with each passing second. Even more so by watching Nana's serious back. What did she want to talk about?

I might or might not have a hunch.... But I don't think I...

Nana's steps reached a halt all of a sudden. Following her, so did mine when I stood beside her.

Ah, we reached the park. I glanced at her and saw that she was gazing at something intently. I followed her line of sight to see what caught her eye.

A park full of children happily playing around. Some running, some sliding, some swinging.....

Wait. Swing?

Nana used to love the swing. Not too fast yet not too slow. Oh, she was looking at the swing.

But why did you look like you were about to cry? Don't cry...

I opened my mouth without thinking, "Nana, do you want to ride the-"

Nana clasped her hands and cutting me off she said, "Ah! It brings back so many memories! But it's so crowded here. Kou-chan, let's go near the river. It's usually empty. Well, at least it used to be."

She started skipping her way to the river without waiting for me to respond.

Nana, you were so easy to read.

Still, I followed her quietly. Reaching near the river, we sat down under the shade of a big tree. Our usual spot of relaxation where we came often. I liked to think of our time here as more of a date.....                                   

I picked up a stone from the ground beside me and threw it in the river. It leapt twice only. Sigh* I used to be good at it.

"Remember when we used to float boats made of leaves in the river?" Nana asked gazing at the river.

"Yeah, It's more like I never forgot," My answer slipped out faster than my thoughts.

For the past three years, I had lived feeding off of those memories anyway. If I forgot them, how would I have survived?

I heard Nana sigh. It was quite a deep sigh.
I glanced at her and saw she was looking back at me with her doe eyes.

"Kou-chan, what exactly do you think I am?" She asked softly.

"Nana, the sweetest, brightest and the most beautiful girl in the world," I replied almost instantly.

"Pfft. Haha." Nana's laughter leaked out as she covered her face with her hands.

"Kou-chan, you and your flirty jokes." She said, still hiding her face but I could feel her smiling behind her hands.

"I was flirting but not joking," I stated the fact.

I could see the tip of her ears turning red. I wanted to see her face.
I was sure that it was painted with a lovely rosy colour by now, the same scenery I had engraved in my memory since the first time I saw it.

I missed it. I wanted to see it again.

Moments later when Nana's hands finally came down, the sight that greeted me much to my despair, was not the one that used to take my breath away but the one which crushed my heart.

Tears streaming down her cheeks like an endless waterfall and her lips curved into the saddest smile I've ever seen.

Dread crept over me closing down my reasoning as I gaped at her unable to let a word out. Even some consolation.

Don't cry. I wanted to say.

But something within me screamed that no words could provide her solace. I was just there frozen...
Hoping to be saved.

After a few moments which felt like an eternity had passed, Nana broke the silence.

"Kou-chan. I'm dead. I'm sure you know that. My body that lies in the grave is more proof than needed." Wiping her tears, the words Nana spilled like a whisper were the ones I so desperately ran away from.

"Hey, don't cry... It's okay. It's alright." Her soft voice fell on my ears.

"....cry?" I unconsciously touched my eyes which were moist with tears.

Hah? When? Why wouldn't they stop? Nana was watching. Stop.

"It's okay. It's okay. Let it all out. I'm not leaving before I finish doing what I came back for." Nana's soothing voice resounded.