Prologue

Post coronavirus pandemic. Prior to Technasma panic.
Brentwood Apartments, Washington DC, USA.

Two breaths filled the chilly evening air as two figures lay on the dirt scattered with cigarette butts and bubblegum wrappers. The aroma of pine needles encircled them and two northern mockingbirds cawed above beneath the stars.

Mama's cold hand held ontso her seven-year-old daughter's warm one that evening just outside the city. Neither mother nor daughter interrupted the birds calls and rustling of branches. Instead, both pairs of eyes were glued on the midnight diamonds in a sort of wonder and fascination that cannot be described with words alone.

"Mama?" Aubrey whispered moments later with the stars still making her brown eyes sparkle.

"Yes, Reyrey?" Mama turned her body to one side on the dirt.

"Mama, can people really get up there? To the stars? Is that real?" A gentle smile spread across her mother's face.

"Yes, Reyrey. People do go up there. Not often, but they do."

"Can- can I go up there?" Aubrey tore her eyes from the stars to look at her mother. Even though Aubrey didn't notice, her mother's smile fad for a moment at the question.

"I don't see why not, darling. Only—" Mama couldn't finish the sentence. She had to tell her daughter sooner or later. She knew that. Only, she couldn't bring herself to do it. Not here. Not now at least. Later, later, later, she told herself and buried the thought deep down.

"Only what, Mama?"

"Only... it wouldn't be easy." Mama quickly changed the direction of the conversation. "In order to touch the stars, Reyrey, you have to be able to work for it. Those people spend their whole lives working for a touch. Do you think you'd be able to do that?"

"Yes." A wide grin crossed the girl's round face. "Yes, and when the time comes, I'll bring you with me." Aubrey didn't know what she was saying and what it meant. All she knew is when she finished speaking, her mother's smile flashed to grief for just a moment. Her mother did her best to keep the thought buried but it threatened to surface as she replied.

"If that's what you want, Reyrey, I'd love to come with you."

Directing her gaze back to the twinkling lights above, Aubrey sighed. "I'm gonna do it, Mama."

"You are, are you?"

"I'm gonna go up there. I'm gonna touch every single tiny star. You'll be able to touch them too when you come with me. I promise."

Mama gulped down the lump in her throat. She knew her daughter and that her daughter meant it. Aubrey may only be seven, but in her eyes, Mama knew she meant every word of it.

"If that's what you want, Reyrey, you can make it happen and I would be delighted to come with you."

"Good." Showing her teeth in a grin, Aubrey imagined touching a star as if they were each a ball of glowing glass or maybe even reflective drops of water.

Tears stung at the back of Mama's eyes. Taking in a lungful of cold air, the icy air stung her throat. It moved through her chest into her lungs which lay on either side of her shaky heartbeat which would never be steady again. Raspingly coughing up the burning air, Aubrey's gaze left the stars and fell on her mother's pale face.

"You okay, Mama?"

"Yes, uh, yes." Mama tried to sound confident in her words for her baby but Mama was never a good liar. She squeezed her daughter's hand. "Just the chilly air. Come. Let's go inside before you catch a cold."

The two stood and brushed the dirt and pine needles from themselves. Leaving the circle of trees behind them, the two headed for their one-room apartment in the building across the road. The street lights flickered eerily as they reached the sidewalk and then crossed the empty road littered with potholes and long-since forgotten grocery bags in the gutters.

This side of Washington DC was always a ghost town with the exception of a few gangs and lost tourists. Not many people lived in Brentwood Apartments with them. Out of the few people Mama did know that lived there, she did her best to keep them away from Aubrey.

The two reached the staircase inside the building and began to climb to the second floor.

There wasn't much Mama had left other than Aubrey and the apartment. But, hidden in a book under her pillow was a stack of cash she had been collecting. It was for Aubrey's college one day, but it was not even close to the amount she needed.

This wouldn't have bothered her because her daughter was only seven. However, she wasn't going to be given the time most parents take for granted.

Mama's days were numbered and there wasn't enough money to properly support Aubrey when she had gone. It would somehow all end up okay, though, she kept telling herself. Somehow, someway she just knew that.

In this whole messed up world, there wasn't much hope for the seven-year-old American-Chinese girl of a single mother. But Aubrey would be fine. Mama knew it.

The door of their room squeaked and the light took a few moments to flicker on as the two made their way inside. Mama put Aubrey to bed with a kiss and then headed to bed herself not long after.

As she drifted off that night, she muttered to herself under her breath. She'll be okay. I just know it. She'll make it though.

Mama died of a heart attack two weeks later.