Ice cream

Joshua's POV

"Irene! God, I thought I lose you. I told you to wait outside!" said the man in front of me with frowning face and stern voice.

Irene remains silent but slowly getting up with her lips pouted, I notice she almost cries.

"Sorry, sir. But I told her to wait inside. It's safer here." I try to explain to him

"Haven't she told you that I told her to wait outside? I was looking for her around this library just now." He said with a serious face.

"She didn't but it's my fault that I offered her. I'm sorry for that." I try to say as politely as possible as I felt Irene's hand holding my skirt.

I look down to her but her eyes are still on the man before me which possibly her father? I don't know, maybe young parent problems?

"Well, next time if I'm late, inform me first if she wants to do anything so that I won't be looking for her around this big library. I believe I left my contacts with her registration?" He still sounds mad and I'm trying my best to not roll my eyes.

I mean, he's the one who's late and I need to inform him. Doesn't he the one who should inform us? And who told you to look for around this library. You should come to the counter in the first place if anything like that happens.

"Will do, Sir. Sorry again for that." I bow a little as an apology and roll my eyes at myself while I'm at it, hiding it from it. I'm annoyed but he's our customer so I can't argue.

"Irene, let's go." He holds out his hand for her to reach out but she lets go of her hand from my skirt and run away straight for the door while crying.

He sighs and curses under his breath.

Before he follows her step, I say, "Excuse me, Sir. I don't mean to interrupt anything about your relationship with your daughter. But, I don't think you should get mad at her like that. If anything, you can find me and it's not her fault. It's my responsibility to make sure she's safe here and that's why I brought her inside."

He gives me a little glare, "She's not my daughter, she's my niece. And I don't need you to teach me on what to do."

Okay???

I gape a little at his answer and decide to just shut my mouth and not say anything until I see him go following his niece.

Pretty face doesn't mean pretty attitude I guess.

When I'm sure he isn't looking back, I bend my body forward a little to look past the glass door. I exhale a breath of relief when I see Irene is now in his arm and hugging the man while he keeps stroking her hair. I guess he knows how to say sorry and know his fault too.

I get that he's worried but talking that harsh to the kid when she's not the one to be blamed is wrong for me.

When they finally drive away, I do my final check around the library before packing my things up to go home.

*****

Joshua's POV

I need to stop an ice cream parlor to buy Irene and ice cream since I jjst got mad at her just now and now I have to say sorry. The things I do for this kid.

She jumps excitedly while we wait for her strawberry ice cream and say thanks in a happy voice when the seller hands her ice cream. I just smile and pay for the ice cream.

She holds my hand in her left hand while the other one is busy eating her ice-cream. "You aren't mad at me now?"

She just shakes her head as reply.