Wedding reception

It was time for the wedding reception as Josh stood up and clinked glass saying" "Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen!

It's my great pleasure and privilege to welcome you all here today, at this amazing venue, on such a glorious day, to celebrate the marriage of Iain and my beautiful daughter Ruby

We are very grateful for all of you coming here today to be part of this very special occasion, and especially to those that have travelled great distances to be here, quite literally from all corners of the world. So we should think of it not just as a great occasion for us but also for the worlds major airlines, whose profits, I'm sure have taken a big boost. 

So, Ruby is my third daughter so naturally over the years I've spent quite a lot of time thinking about exactly what I wanted to say when this moment arrived. But then last night I was chatting to Ruby and she said "Dad, you can say whatever you like about me in your speech, just don't embarrass me". So I had to rip the whole thing up and start again. I've printed this off the internet this morning so I hope it works out OK.

But Ruby you are looking truly stunning today, I'm certain we'd all agree. But beauty is only one of Scarlett's many attributes, she is also fiercely loyal, totally dependable, fun loving and friendly. All of which, I'm absolutely certain, will make her a perfect partner. Iain I think you are very lucky man.

I was also going to say that Ruby is quite "low maintenance", another great attribute, she is easily pleased and doesn't hanker after the most expensive things in life. But that was obviously before the wedding preparations started. So I'm now probably going to have to rethink that one.

Anyway, I'm just the warm up act and we have a long line up of prestigious speakers to come so I'll finish off with a piece of wisdom.

A great philosopher once said.... A man who gives in when he is wrong is a very wise man but a man who gives in when he's right is "married". Never a truer word spoken in jest.

So ladies and gentlemen, It is my very great pleasure to propose the first toast to the happy couple. Scarlett and Steven, here's to a long and wonderful life together. To Iain and Ruby."

Ruby was the next one to stand up as she said" "Today, I don't just feel like a bride, I don't just feel like a wife, I feel complete and that is because I know I will always have Iain by my side."

Some may think that a bride making a speech is a little untraditional. But, as most of you will know, I never pass on an opportunity to make my voice heard and, as many wise people have told me, "If you want something done properly, do it yourself!" So here I am.

Iain has done a very good job of supporting me with the planning, he has come up with his own ideas (although if you look around you won't see a bouncy castle – sorry babe!) I'd like to say a special thank you to Mum and Dad. Now, Mum has asked that I don't make her cry. I never saw my mum as much of a crier until I started planning this wedding! My mum is fiercely protective, loyal and honest. She is the best person to have on your side and I am very grateful that biology has rendered her my permanent ally! My mum has always done everything she can for me and has pushed me to be my best. Mum, I really appreciate and love you very much.

My dad is the best dad that anyone could ever wish for and I am so lucky to call him mine. He has strong values, a high moral compass, and an unbelievable work ethic, all of which have inspired me to be the person that I am. I may now be married, Dad, but you were the first man I loved. You have set the bar high (good luck, Iain!) and I promise to always be your little girl. Although, from now on, Dad, I'll try to cost you less (again, good luck, Iain!)

My parents have a special kind of love for each other. They can survive the biggest arguments, communicate without words and they share that deep-rooted love that somehow prevents my mum from murdering my dad when he snores! They have the kind of love that I hope we have years from now and you better hope so too, Iain, because you're definitely a snorer!

 Now onto more thank yous... can we have a big cheer for my beautiful bridesmaids, Roxanne, Anna and Jessica as these girls are not only stunning on the outside but they are thoughtful and inspiring young women who I couldn't be more proud of.

Before I met Iain, I spent a long time looking for something or someone who would make me a great person. Iain has taught me that I don't need to change to find greatness and he loves me for who I am and he makes me feel special every day. He has taught me that it is not who I am, but what I do that defines me. Although, I am pretty sure he stole that one from Batman! Iain has all of the qualities I could ask for in a husband; he is considerate, he knows his own mind, he provides warmth and security, he challenges me, and he makes me happier than I ever thought I could be.

The reason that our relationship works is that we are both just ourselves and love each other for the real people we are. Today, I don't just feel like a bride, I don't just feel like a wife, I feel complete and that is because I know I will always have Iain by my side. So I want to raise a toast to my husband, the love of my life, to Iain!

Finlay stood up and said" "Hi! For those of you who don't know me I'm Finlay, Iain's best man. When Iain asked me to be his best man I felt honoured and had to say yes.

Of course, we wouldn't be here today without Ruby and her ability to do what Iain failed to do, and that is get down on one knee and put a ring on it. I often think that Alicia makes Cameron look good which is a difficult task I know, but she manages this simply by standing next to him. Alicia I'd like to take this opportunity to say how beautiful you look today.

On behalf of the bridesmaids and myself I would like to thank Iain and Ruby for asking us to be part of their special day. I know you've both put a lot of hard work and effort into getting everything ready for today and it's amazing.

I could go on taking the mick out of Iain  all day long but other people need to speak plus my beers run out/getting warm and let's face it, Iain can humiliate himself enough without my help.

I wish the 2 of you a long and happy marriage together. Ruby I know Iain has a soft and loving side for you. I know that you will both make each other very happy and you are everything that he needs.

Just please try and look after him as he struggles to look after himself.

So everyone, please raise your glasses to the bride and groom, congratulations!"

After Iain and Ruby had the wedding reception they got into the wedding car and went to the airport as Iain smiled and said" love you mrs dean" as Ruby smiled and said" I love you two mr dean.