Post-Blip Five

Four months after Endgame/Two months before The Falcon and the Winter Soldier

As Michaela was sitting and reading, flashes from her past plagued her mind.

One in particular bothered her most.

She jumped up, knocking the book to the floor with a soft thud, and ran to find Bucky. She looked around the apartment, but couldn't find him.

"Where the hell are you, Buck?" she muttered as her panic grew. She knew she probably didn't have anything to worry about, but due to past circumstances, she wasn't about to take any chances.

The door lock jiggled and Michaela drew a kitchen knife just in case it was an intruder.

The door opened and Bucky walked through, glancing at his girlfriend who had taken up a defense position. "Mick... Were you going to stab me?"

Michaela chuckled awkwardly. "Um, no?"

"You're a terrible liar. I should know. So tell me. Would you actually have shot me?"

"Look, in my defense, you could've been an intruder!"

"An intruder? What kind of movies have you been watching? An intruder wouldn't use a k... Actually, they might."

"Or a lock pick."

"You worry me. Speaking of worry, you've got your worried look. Everything okay?"

She set the knife down. "Not really. I was reading, minding my own business, when I remembered Steve telling me you were dead 78 years ago. Buck, I need you to promise me something."

"Anything, doll."

"Promise me I'm not gonna lose you. 'Cause I know I can't bear that to happen. The first time broke me in a way I never thought possible, and that was before I was willing to admit how I felt about you. And if I lost you now, I... It would ruin me. Devastate me."

Bucky stepped closer to her. "Sweet Caroline, I promise that you never have to worry about losing me, okay? I will never abandon you. You're everything to me. But you gotta promise me that I won't lose you either."

Michaela rested her forehead to Bucky's. "You're won't lose me, Buck. We'll hopefully both be old, well, older, and grey before that happens."

He pulled her into his arms and smiled softly, kissing the top of her head, then her forehead, and finally her lips.

Michaela smiled softly and rested her head against his chest as she wrapped her arms tighter around him.