[1982]

City-X thrived on its local talents from architects, designers, writers and artists. It was a hub that inspired people to visit its yearly Biennale for showcasing creative projects from all over the world. 

Having lived in a city as such, students of its main university aspired for greatness, they wanted to be noticed; hence the fierce competition. They say the fifth year of architecture school is the easiest, Theodore, Karina and Alexei were all attending what will be the last semester of university together.
 Karina was so called "the most ambitious" by her peers, was partnered in her graduation project with Alexei, they were to submit a library design for the newly developed city center.

 Alexei had a talent for creating technical drawings fast, Karina was the creative talent, and she was born to design the most beautiful structures of her time.
- "I'm so tired." Theodore complained as he sat on the university bench to enjoy his drink beside Karina, who was busy sketching the newly designed landscape that was across their seat.
- "How long did you stay up last night?" She gave him a soft side smile and continued to sketch her confident lines.
- "Longer than I should." he closed his eyes and started calculating the number of floors for building N.
- "Alexei, you scared me." Karina laughed as she realized the shadow that was hovering over her notebook stood for a long time.
- "You look like you need to sleep." Alexei gave Theodore a distasteful glance.
- "Tell me about it." He gave him a shuddered look and continued to relax his head.
- "Nina, I was wondering if maybe we can get some tea after our Utility class today, if you'd like, we will just take a break and relax." Alexei asked Karina nervously.
-"I'd love that, yes." She smiled closing her sketchbook and placing it inside her bag.
- "You can't imagine how much I just need to do...nothing." she laughed waving goodbye to both guys.

- "She is not interested ,Kamenev, don't waste your time" Theodore stood up to leave.
-"Didn't you break up with her?" Alexei hated his remark.
- "She is still mine." He answered confidently.
-"We'll see about that van Doren, and don't assume I will not beat the hell out of you if you talk to me like that again, I only hold back for her sake, but trust me, next time, I won't hesitate. "He spoke those words fast, he couldn't control how much the sight of him made his blood boil, he only held himself back for Nina.
 Theodore smirked at Alexei's threat and left unbothered; he was too tired to have a fight with Alexei who seems to always have energy for such things.

 Alexei waited all afternoon in the Cafeteria hall for Karina, he even made sure to order her favorite tea just in time to keep it warm enough for her to drink as soon as she shows up. He prepared a speech, a long one about how he always wanted to confess about his feelings, and how he could never imagined it possible because she was with someone else, but now the time couldn't be more perfect, she isn't committed to anyone, and she should give him a chance to prove how he is worthy of her, he will make her happy, he will promise her the world for the rest of his life.

 Karina was an hour late; Alexei was starting to worry she forgot about the little meet-up she said she'll come to.

 "Did van Doren say something to her? I will kill him with both my hands" his head was racing in thought.

-"Hey, oh my God Alexei, I am so sorry." She came forward to the table and sat opposite him placing her bag and books on the nearest chair.
- "Your tea is cold." He was so happy to see her, "Let me get you another one" he stood up fast to order her a new warm cup.
 He started practicing the words in his head, what to say first, what to say last, he wanted to make sure she understood what he was feeling, this was his only chance, and there will be no errors. 

-"Your hot tea." He placed it in front of her and gave the softest smile as he sat staring at her across the table.

-"Nina, there is something you must know." He took a deep breath and looked straight into her eyes.
 She smiled back and took a sip of her hot tea, enjoying its warmth with both her hands,
-"Is it something to do with our project submission? because you know that we ..."
-"No, I need you to listen for a while to what I have to say before you say anything, promise me you'll hear me out till the end." He interrupted her.
 Karina looked hard at him, confused on what was going on, she wasn't sure where this was going, and it took her a while to realize that he was still waiting for her promise before he said another word.
- "Promise me Nina, please." he held both her hands tightly.
- "I... promise." she was worried something bad was going to happen to him.