Chapter 11

Slateblaze flicked the snow from his ears and whiskers as he stepped out of the warrior's den. Snow was falling from the sky, and the white flakes gathered at his paws and formed layers as it grew. Over the last few days since Birdwhisker and Sheeppool's deaths, Slateblaze noticed a sudden shift in his Clanmates' approach to the cold weather. The newly named warriors- Milkspeckle, Batstorm, and Whisperingleaf- were sitting around a measly few scraps of prey near the prey-pile, munching on the bones and fur of what was left.

A pelt brushed against his side as Crowstorm joined him outside. Her brown tabby fur and white paws were speckled with snow as she shook moss from her pelt, then shivered. "It's too early for this weather," she complained as she swiped at a snowflake that landed on her nose. "Cats are going to get sick quicker as the weather gets worse."

Slateblaze flicked his tail, already dreading the next few moons ahead. "Do you want to go hunting?" He offered. "We might get lucky while the prey is still out and about. We could catch a few mice and call it a success."

Crowstorm eyed him, a playful gleam in her eyes as she scuffed up a pawful of snow and flung it at Slateblaze. The she-cat purred with laughter as Slateblaze let out a yelp, the cold snow startling him as he wiped his face furiously with a paw. "Oops," she chuckled as he sneezed. "My paw slipped."

Slateblaze grinned slyly and scooped up some snow and shoved it into Crowstorm's face, holding her in place with a paw as she screeched and tried to get away. "My bad," he teased as Crowstorm wriggled out of his grip and glared playfully at him. "I must've tripped."

"If you two are done flirting with each other," meowed a rather amused Lightstorm as she strode between the two warriors with Shiningfox behind her. "Then I suggest taking Indigopaw out for a hunting lesson to start the day off." She looked to Crowstorm, who had stopped laughing to look at the deputy. "I know Indigopaw can be a pawful, but you need to teach them how to respect their peers and their mentor just as you were taught."

Crowstorm's eyes sparked as the deputy addressed her. "I've tried to teach them how to hunt!" She defended herself, her tail flicking as she blinked at the she-cats. Slateblaze padded to her side, watching the scene unfold. "They don't listen to me, Lightstorm. They don't respect any cat other than themselves and they have no interest in anything that isn't battle training or patrolling."

Shiningfox eyed Crowstorm, doubt flashing in her orange eyes. "Forestpaw tells me about Indigopaw's bravery whenever they have to do something risky," she interjected. "Indigopaw seems well on their way to becoming a great warrior, Crowstorm. Maybe you just don't see it yet."

Slateblaze stiffened as Crowstorm's eyes lit up with anger and he stepped between the three she-cats, gently pushing Crowstorm away from lunging at Shiningfox. "Indigopaw is hardly ever seen taking care of the elders or queens," he pointed out mildly, looking from the deputy and her mate. "And they don't like moss-gathering or helping out with chores around the camp. The other apprentices take care of that for them, and they get away with it. Maybe you and Tigerstar need to set more rules so they contribute more."

Shiningfox opened her mouth to retort, but Slateblaze turned away and pulled Crowstorm alongside him, making sure there was plenty of distance between the two before they could talk freely again.

"How dare Shiningfox question my mentoring abililties in front of Lightstorm?" Crowstorm was fuming as she stomped at Slateblaze's side, her eyes stormy with anger. "I'm a fantastic mentor! Indigopaw is just an ungrateful brat who doesn't understand that the world doesn't revolve around them and fighting!"

Slateblaze simply nodded, deciding against pointing out that Indigopaw hasn't been an apprentice for too long. I don't want to upset her further, he thought to himself as he pressed supportively against Crowstorm's side. "Well, why don't we go to Tigerstar and tell him for the final time about Indigopaw's antics?" He suggested calmly, and Crowstorm glanced warily at him, her ears twitching. "If he still refuses to give them a new mentor, tell him that you'll stop training them until they do."