Chapter 5

My first week of school goes by very quickly. Before I know it, it's the night of the bon-fire. I stare at myself in the full length mirror that's on my closet door and examine how my new black dress looks on me. I put on a white cardign to go with my dress.

Not caring if I get my dress dirty, I walk to the ranch to see Arabella.

"Hey girly. I miss spending all day with you."

She comes and sticks her head out of the stall for me to pet her. I pet her, gently.

"I'm nervous about tonight, girly, girl. I have no idea what I am going to say or do."

I hear foot steps. I look behind me.

LUCAS. Ugh.......

"Why hello there, creeper." I say.

He laughs. "I'm not a creeper. I work here, remember?"

"Yes.  Don't remind me."

"I work here. I work here. I work here. I work here. I work here....." He goes on and on.

"OMG! STOP!" I finally say.

He laughs some more.

"You are quite irratating." I sigh.

"You know you love me."

"That's funny." I give him a sarastic smile.

"So, why are you all dressed up?" His eyes look over my outfit.

"I'm going to a bon-fire tonight."

"Where at?"

"What are you? The police?" I roll my eyes.

"No, I'm just engaging in a conversation. You have to ask questions in order to have a decent conversation."

"Good point, but I still don't have to tell you."

"No, you don't, but you will."

"How do you know I will?"

"Because I just know you will." He grins.

"Whatever. It's at Joseph Gates's house. From what I typed in on my gps on my phone it's only like a couple of miles away or less."

Lucas puts his hands in his jean pockets. He has  this really weird look on his face.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

He takes in a deep breath. "Nothing you need to worry about."

"Tell me." I really wanna know now.

"It's not important."

"The look on your face tells me otherwise."

"Well, Joseph is my brother."

My mouth falls to the ground. I would have never guessed that in a million years.

"You have got to be kidding me?"

"I wish I was."

"Does he live with your parents?"

"Yeah."

"Why don't you?" I hope I'm not digging too deep into his business here.

"It's a long story."

"Seems like there are alot of those going on around here." I shake my head.

"Are you coming to the bon-fire tonight?"

"No way. I haven't been to see my parent's in several months. We had a falling out. We've never gotten along."