| 00 |: Faith

𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐑'𝐒 𝐍𝐎𝐓𝐄 : This fanfic is very canon divergent as I have used my creative liberty to fill in the gaps of Teyvat's lore. This was written way before the Inazuma and Sumeru Archon quests were released, so there will be discrepancies.

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾

After what felt like an eternity, she woke up again and opened her eyes. Light filtered into her vision, allowing her to pull herself out of the seemingly perpetual darkness that always engulfed her once she has served her purpose. The alchemists that were responsible for her birth always put her to sleep after they were done making adjustments to her, as if she was a mechanical doll they could tinker with.

"Can you hear me? You will now go by the name (y/n), and you will no longer respond to Gungnir," a man's voice spoke up.

As her brain processed his words, she tried to understand why her identity was being changed. Was she not suited for the title of god? Was she not the god they desired to control? So this is the end...

The unknown man cleared his throat. "I am Dainsleif."

She raised her head to look at him when he introduced himself, finding herself propped up against the wall in a palace that was decorated with gold. Where is this? This isn't the laboratory she was raised in... She blinked a few times and stared at the man kneeling in front of her. He had the most beautiful pair of blue eyes, and diamond-shaped pupils adorned them; their colour reminded her of the deep serene in the memories that weren't her own.

She must have appeared to be in pain because his hands immediately grasped her shoulders as concern flickered in his hues.

Was he worried about her? This was a first... Nobody cared about her before; they only cared about how useful she was.

"I am a royal guard - one of the protectors of the king that will preserve the future and glory of mankind," Dainsleif said.

Protector... of the king... of mankind...

He smiled at her in a way that overwhelmed her with a sense of relief.

"And I will protect you as well. You are no longer the god acting as Khaenri'ah's puppet."

"I promise that I will never leave you in solitude, (y/n)."

She couldn't stop thinking about him.

Even if it takes a thousand years... all she wishes is for him to come back to her.

"You can do anything."

She's just a weapon that's incapable of doing anything by herself, but Dainsleif called her human. He taught her to laugh when she's happy, cry when she's sad, and complain when she's tired.

He taught her to follow her own will.

He taught her to live on her own orders.

She was ready to devote herself to him, so why did he push her away?

"Leave the kingdom and be free."

Why?

"You cannot fall with Khaenri'ah. You must survive to carry on this knowledge, because only you and I can remember history as it is."

But why?

"I want you to live on as a human."

(Y/n) watched Dainsleif turn his back to her and walk away. She reached out for him, but he never returned. So she held onto his promise of never leaving her in solitude and maintained her faith in him.

Even when Celestia's wrath descended upon her, turning her body into stone, her faith never wavered.

Five centuries then passed, and her faith in Dainsleif finally crumbled.