| 15 |: The Face of a Monster

"I see," Jean murmured after listening to (y/n)'s explanation, "So what you're saying is that a malevolent being from Inazuma is causing the adventurers to fall in a coma? And that the only way to wake them up is to destroy the sword that controls the red mist they might have fallen victim to?"

(Y/n) nodded from her seat in front of the Acting Grandmaster's desk. Aether, who wasn't able accompany (y/n) because of some business he needed to take care of in Inazuma, had kept his word of arranging a meeting between her and Jean - but the former wasn't expecting Kaeya, Lisa, Albedo and Eula to be present in the room as well. They were all listening to the exchange between (y/n) and their superior attentively as the topic was concerning the safety and well-being of their nation.

"It'll be hard to find the right one though because all of the swords look identical. If we put ourselves in the enemy's shoes however, it's likely that the sword we have to destroy is in their possession," (y/n) said before pausing with an uneasy look, "But going up against a demon that lives on human flesh is the same as digging your own grave, so please leave the fighting to me. Only I can survive against such a formidable opponent."

"So the black katana Kaeya and I have been destroying all this time was wasted effort?" Eula questioned, folding her arms over her chest with a frown, "Had you told us this earlier, we would have spent that time on a task that would yield better results."

"It wasn't wasted effort," (y/n) quickly replied, standing up, "Is there a map of Mondstadt that I could borrow for a moment?"

"Here you go," Lisa said, unrolling a map of the country on Jean's desk before handing her a black marker, "And a marker, just in case."

"Thank you." (Y/n) gratefully accepted the marker from the librarian and then held it out to Eula. "Please mark the locations of the swords your team had found." When Eula nodded and took the marker from her, (y/n) turned to face Kaeya. "Once Eula is done, please do the same."

"Got it," Kaeya replied, walking over to stand next to Eula. After both captains finished marking the swords' locations, they took a step back and allowed (y/n) to assess the map. Using the marker that Kaeya returned to her, she connected the x's they had drawn; to everyone's surprise, they formed a perfect circle around the village of Springvale.

Jean whispered, "This is..."

"Small settlements with little to no security are easy targets for the demon. If Kaeya and Eula hadn't destroyed the swords they found, Mondstadt will not only have to deal with comatose adventurers but also a mountain of disfigured corpses," (y/n) uttered, tracing a circle around Springvale with her index finger, "And you wouldn't even be able to prevent the villagers' deaths because of the barrier the demon is able to summon with their swords. I've experienced it first-hand; it stops humans from leaving and entering."

"If their goal was to eat humans, then what was the point of the sleeping curse the adventurers have fallen victim to?" Albedo inquired, cupping his chin, "That's the only part I don't understand. Could this demon have another motive?"

She pondered over his question. "... I'm not sure myself. It could be possible that they were being used as test subjects-"

"This is an emergency!" The door to Jean's office suddenly slammed open, revealing a frazzled Amber. She hurriedly entered the room as Jean gazed at her with wide eyes, and everyone wondered what could have reduced the usually cheerful Outrider to her panicked state. "The Adventurers' camp near Dragonspine was attacked! The adventurers there require urgent medical support!"

Before Jean could further inquire Amber about the attack, (y/n) stepped forward and said, "Forgive me for stepping over the line, but I'll be going ahead to investigate Dragonspine. Our enemy might have fled to the mountains after attacking the camp."