Chapter Four: Unexpected Vacation Time Starts with Chocolate Chip Pancakes

A few days had past since Sang had begun her stay with Karen and the pain her body had been in days before was slowly going away with all the rest Karen was letting her have. Sang would need time to let both her body and mind heal from everything she was put through but this was just the beginning of a new start. As promised the fallowing day after Sang had left the Sorensons' house Karen helped Sang gather up the information about her funds. To say that Sang was in shock by the total amounts of both her savings and the investments that she had let Karen be in control of was an understatement. Somehow Karen had a knack for figuring out when to trade, sell, or buy shares from different stocks and this had helped Sang in a very big way, giving Sang a huge financial safety net. The fallowing day when Karen took Sang to the store so they could grocery shop Sang refused to let Karen pay for anything. She didn't know how long she would be crashing with Karen but felt she needed to do something to show her gratitude as well as prove to herself that she could support herself and those she cared about.

This morning when Karen and Sang had sat down for breakfast Sang asked if Karen would come with her to look at a few places after work. Last night Sang couldn't sleep after waking up from a nightmare and found herself using Karen's laptop to look up places to rent or buy in the area. While she had been looking she wrote down the name and number of the local real estate company that she could call on her break to see if she was able to look at anything after she got off work or at the least set up an appointment to do so.

"You ready to go, Sang?" Karen called down the hallway before she entered the living room and headed for the kitchen where she grabbed two of the pre-made salads they had gotten from the store the other day. She tossed those along with a couple granola bars and mini bags of crackers into a grocery bag and made sure that their names were clearly printed on it so all she had to do was drop it in the refrigerator at work.

"Yeah, I'm good...oh, hold on!" Sang told Karen as she rushed over to her duffel bag and pulled out a gallon size ziplock bag that held all of Sang's hair things. Sang pulled out a clip and twisted her hair back before she snapped the clip around it. "Ok, now I'm ready!"

Karen shook her head. Everything in her wanted to remove the clip from Sang's beautiful head of hair. Karen had told Sang so many times how extraordinary her hair was but this only caused Sang to blush and bite her lip or the tips of her fingers nervously before shaking her head and trying to change the topic.

Before either Sang or Karen realized it they had made it to the library. As Sang got out of the car she heard Karen make a small noise from the back of her throat. This caused Sang to look around. Right away she noticed Ms. Martha's silver BMW. Sang's fingers reached for her bottom lip. Something must have happened in order for Ms. Martha to have come home from her trip with her husband and Sang didn't know if it was going to be good or bad. Seeing the look on Sang's face Karen walked around her truck and link arms with Sang, doing her best to let Sang know they were alright.

     As they neared the front entrance of the library the door opened and Sang was hit with the faint scent of coffee but there was something more to it. Something sweet and mouth watering filled the air with the coffee scent. Hazelnut... thought Sang, Maybe cinnamon? Sang had never tried coffee but the thought of not getting to try this wonderful blend almost made her want to cry out. She took another deep breath and closed her eyes. When she opened them her eye color had switched from green to a soft pink color. As she took another breath the scent that had set her off seconds ago was now nowhere around her. Something inside her felt saddened by this and she had to shake her head to get rid of the nonsense that was running through her head.