Betrayal ~300~ Yashimaru

"Yashimaru wouldn't..."

Yet, everything pointed to the exact opposite.

In front of Rasa was a child who just the day before looked up at him with bright eyes and a bright smile, who clutched one of the teddy bears he'd given him to his chest, completely adoring his family members.

Except now Gaara looked at him with such hatred with one hand clutching onto the arm of a teddy bear that hadn't been ripped off. As Gaara babbled, parts of the conversation with Yashimaru came out, yet it didn't make sense. Yashimaru loved his sister and thus he loved Gaara.

Rasa felt betrayed.

He felt Karura's memory was betrayed, all by some simple words that didn't seem right in Rasa's head, almost as if the Yashimaru who acted the night before was a stranger. He contemplated if his orders made Yashimaru feel he needed to go this route, the route of killing Gaara.

"Gaara needs to be strong or he won't survive," he remembered telling his brother-in-law. That was the rule of Suna, that the strong survived and the weak did not. But then, there were the words of taking revenge on the village, that his mother named him Gaara—the demon who loved only himself so that her hatred might...

"Yashimaru would know that isn't what she would want for him, that she sacrificed her life so she could live, not so that Suna could have a weapon." Yet, with Gaara's birth, Suna gained a weapon, one which the council argued was too soft when they saw Gaara acting like a normal child and too much of a liability when his sands reacted.

"Is this his way of protecting Gaara, to make Gaara trust nobody so he'll protect himself?"

Even if that might be true, Rasa certainly felt betrayed.