Chapter 1: welcome to the marauders

hey guys this fic is gonna be long af, sorry in advance.

-

songs in this chapter:
This Side of Paradise - Coyote Theory

"No, Snape. We're done with your shit. Get the fuck out of here."

Remus had just walked out of the bar for a smoke break in the alley. The band from earlier that night was packing up their instruments and, apparently, kicking out their bassist.

"Fuck you, Potter," the bassist with the greasy hair shot back, "This band is shit anyways."

Remus lit a cigarette and watched with vague interest. The band had been good tonight. They had a nice mix between rock and indie, not to mention the drummer had been particularly attractive. But now the band seemed to be in total disarray. Over what? Remus didn't have a clue nor did he care. He did not get paid to break up fights.

"Whatever you say, Snivellus," said the boy in the leather jacket - the drummer, Remus remembered. "You're an asshole and a racist and if I never see you again, it would be too soon."

The greasy bassist stepped up to lead singer - Potter, Remus remembered him saying - and Remus groaned internally. He was a pretty good fighter, you had to be when you worked at a bar like this, but he really didn't want any new bruises.

The keyboardist, a short blonde boy, walked into the alley and looked between his bandmates, "What's going on guys?"

"We're kicking out, Snape," the leather jacket man said, "and he's trying to stick his big fucking nose in Potter's face like he could ever take a punch."

Snape turned on him then, "And you would know all about taking punches, wouldn't you, Black?"

"Fuck you," he said with real malice and raised a fist.

"Ay!" Remus yelled from the other end of the alley, "I don't want any fighting here. Get your shit packed and get out of here." The boys looked over at him. None of them seemed to have realized he had been there. Remus just stared them down as he blew out his smoke, "I'm not telling you twice."

The bassist - Snivellus, they were calling him - stepped back, spit on their shoes, and stormed off. Once he finally left their sights, the rest of the band visibly relaxed.

"Fuck," the Potter boy said as he leaned against the wall, "What are we going to do?"

"Who needs him? We're better off without him," the leather jacket man replied.

"We do need a bassist though," the blonde boy finally said.

There was a moment of silence as they all appeared to be racking their brains. Remus should probably get back to work by now, but he remained under a false pretense of making sure they weren't going to start another fight.

"I can ask Lily if she knows anyone," Potter said.

"Asking Lily is exactly what got us into this mess." The leather jacket man sighed and caught Remus's eye. "Hey," he called out, "can I bum a smoke?"

Remus would normally say no. He abhorred talking to strangers, but something about the band intrigued him. Plus, the drummer had looked beautiful under the stage lights. "Yeah, alright," Remus replied.

The leather jacket man smiled and walked over to Remus. Remus dug in his jacket and pulled out a cigarette and a lighter, handing it over. The leather jacket man was indeed still beautiful, with unruly long black hair and bright blue eyes that made even the dark alley a bit brighter. Remus set fire to the lighter and watched as the soft orange flame illuminated the stranger's face.