Trying to Forget the Past

*One week later*

I was finally released from the hospital with the major injuries turned to minor injuries, but my body still ached. My ribs still hurt like hell when I inhaled and exhaled. I limped just a bit. My arm was in a sling and the bruising and cuts darkened. The sun blinded me when I stepped outside into the bright and busy day. I took in a breath of fresh air and sharp pains when through my lungs as if I was being stabbed multiple times. The UV rays beat down on my skin, giving me a sensation that reminded me that I'm glad to be alive. The coolness of the necklace that was made by my father dangled around my neck and the rays bounced off of the gleaming golden metal which then heated it up through my warm skin. I glanced around and seen that the road in front of Hawaii Medical Center was busy once again. I just looked around and took everything in. My phone vibrated in my pocket. And I only knew who that could be. Z.

Sighing with regret, I reached in my pocket to the vibrating object and pulled it out and I was right. It was Z. It rang at least twelve times until it finally stopped. It was time for a new change. It vibrated again and I ignored it. I dialed the number McGarrett gave me. It rang at least four times then the other end picked up.

"McGarrett?"

"I'm finally out of the hospital and I'm standing outside."

"Alright. I'm glad to hear from you. How's your wounds?"

"Minor, but still hurts like a bitch."

I heard him laugh a little and it made me smile.

"I'm fifteen minutes away. I'll see you then."

"Alright."

We both hung up at the same time. I glanced at my phone and kept smiling and sat on the bench and waited.

Five minutes passed and I kept watching around to see if there was anything suspicious going on. But nothing. Ten minutes passed and still no sign of Steve. Then a navy blue Silverado pulls over to the side, the door opens and out steps McGarrett wearing tan cargo pants and a light blue button up shirt with a darker shirt underneath. He struts my way with a bright smile on his face.

"Hey."

He said, sitting down beside me.

"Evening Commander. What's the news?"

"Your record is clean and your name is cleared."

"I don't know what to say."

"You don't have to say anything if you don't want to. I just did what was necessary. So, how about dinner tonight at my place?"

I just smiled.

"Are you asking me out on a date?"

He smiled.

"Yes. I don't have any work right now, so we can just drive around for six hours until then."

"Sounds like a plan."

I replied back, taking off the sling.

"I can't stand this thing anymore. It's killing me."

"Well, you're alive aren't you?"

I laughed at his smartass remark.

"Yeah."

"Come on then."

He said, getting up and walking towards the truck and hopping in and I followed.

"I know this is happening a bit too fast, but it really doesn't matter does it?"

"No, not really."

I said, buckling up.

"Well, while I'm driving, how about you tell me more about you?"

"Okay. I really wasn't the type of person you think of me now."

"What do you mean by that?"

"I mean, I was a quiet kid all through middle school. Barely spoke to anybody then after what happened to my mom, I changed a bit. My dad came back home for a couple of months, then left again. He wrote to me and called me every now and then to tell me he was okay. It was a normal routine, until one day, no sign or a word from him at all. I waited and waited and waited. The mail ran, no letter. I sat by the phone. No calls. Four days passed and still nothing. I figured he was on some special op that he didn't have time to write or call, until the mail ran that day and it was an envelope that had the US Military address on it and a stamped seal. I didn't know what it meant at first until I opened it and started reading it and then I knew. Commander Sean D. Stevenson killed in action. I was shocked. They came and took me and my brother and sister to the base where they had his body and they were preparing the funeral for him. My uncle wouldn't come so it was just me, Jason and Danielle. They really never told me how he actually died. That forced me to grow up way faster than normal. Made me who I was after all of this happened."

He was silent for a while.

"And how were you after?"

"Disciplined, shown no emotions and mature than I really was. I turned into an adult at ten. I was paying house bills, medical bills, gas and everything."

"Someone almost like me"

"What do you mean?"

"My father was murdered while I was transporting a wanted fugitive back to Hawaii. Anton Hesse, bother of Victor Hesse. I've been after those two for five years, then I got a phone call from my dad and I knew right away when I heard his voice, something was wrong. Then Victors voice came on the phone wanting a trade, his brother for my father. The convoy was attacked by which one of his guys tracked my location, Anton pulled a gun on me and in self defense, I shot him and he died right there on the spot. Victor called back, he knew what happened and killed my father. And so began the investigation of my fathers murder and what really turned out was an investigation of the governor and yakuza boss. My mother was murdered as well. A car bomb. It was intended for my father, but that day my mother drove instead. Wo Fat was the name of the man that set the bomb. All of this, the murder of Governor Jameson landed me in prison. Wo Fat killed the governor and turned it on me. But I escaped after the help of Victor because he knew that Wo Fat was tying up loose ends. Its a long, long, story from that point on."

I was speechless and I wanted to cry hearing his part of his life story. It was more brutal than mine in fact.

"I was treated so differently than all the rest of the kids in my class. They joked about my mom and dad, but I never told them that both of them were dead. And that lead to many fights in high school. I had so much anger and remorse and depression built up that I put four kids in the hospital at once. Broke ones jaw in two places, fractured ones shoulder in six different places, put one in a four day coma, and the last one, I stabbed her with a pencil because she was trying to kill me."

"How was she trying to kill you?"

"She was choking me, kicking me, she bounced my head off the ground twice then I grabbed one of her pencils from her pants pocket and stabbed her the leg. Unsharpened pencil. My JROTC instructors took up for me that day. But I still got suspended nine days. No charges filed against me."

"Wow. We both had brutal past life's."

I nodded slightly and then suddenly felt tired. Like no sleep for three months tired. I tried to fight it. I heard Steve's voice grow fainter and fainter and fainter until there was nothing but dead silence....