chapter fourteen

this is one of my fav chapters i've ever written!!!!! i just love it so so much for so many reasons. one main reasons being im a bridal consultant (meaning i sell wedding dresses to brides, like say yes to the dress lol) and i love everything bridal. enjoy!

warnings: none!
word count: 5.5k

MATTHEW

"matthew!"

i turn my head and find three little kids running my way, jumping on me. "hey, kiddos! oh my gosh, you're all so big!"

they scream and shout as they climb on me, asking for magic tricks and stories to make up for the time i haven't seen them. but i make it a point to greet the rest of my family and the wedding party that is lingering around the house. india's wedding is just three short weeks away. everyone is coming to los angeles for dinners and dress fittings and last minute decorations before we travel back to vegas for the actual day. so i get three weeks of my family and i honestly couldn't be more excited.

i've already been with my family for two days but i greet them all again with huge hugs, settling onto a living room couch with them. i entertain my nephew and the younger cousins with games and stories and magic tricks.

it's all going well and we're gearing up for dinner when suddenly, india comes bursting back into the house after being on the porch for nearly an hour. she's full on sobbing, immediately silencing everyone in the house. johnny, her fiancé, and wendy, her sister and the maid of honor, going running over to console her.

i just continue to distract the kids, especially gianna who has autism, just so that they don't start freaking out with the crying. i distract them by telling them all about a character i created named rumple buttercup.

"the wedding is ruined!" i can faintly hear india squealing from the kitchen. "there won't be a wedding now!"

"okay," i say to the kids, three little girls and my nephew watching me intently, "stay here and think about what kind of adventure rumple and candy corn carl could go on together. when i come back, i wanna hear some fun stuff, okay?" they all nod and then turn to each other to make up stories about the characters i've created.

i sneak up behind my mom and sister in the kitchen, pouting when they pout at me. "what's the issue?"

mom lets out an exhausted sigh. "the store that india got her dress, the bridesmaids dresses, flower girl dresses, mother and groom of the bride dresses screwed up her order. they were never ordered from the designer and they're from last season so all the dresses were discontinued. so nobody has any dresses."

i've heard stories similar to this from kendall. the way her business works is a bit different than working with mass manufacturing, but i understand the problem. like india cried, the wedding is kind of ruined. if none of the ladies have any dresses and no time to order new ones or even go shopping again, what is there to do? she's kind of stuck.

but... kendall. i've heard plenty of stories of her whipping up dresses in days for someone. and i know that this isn't the busy season for her, that starts in two months when the fashion weeks start to approach.

i slip away from the panicking group and out onto the porch. i dial the number to kendall's office and sit down on a rocking chair as i wait for someone to answer.

"hello, this is erica from kendall moulin's offices. how can i help you?"

"hey, erica. it's matthew."