Your Face is All I Need to Stay Sane

(Vic's POV)

I put on black jeans and a striped tee and an old hoodie. It was so cold out, Christmas was right around the corner. Literally like a week away, and here I was, out at midnight. It was obvious my ass cheeks would be freezing off tonight.

I re-brush my teeth seeing as I had already eaten dinner, and walk to the living room to wait. I message Kellin, my lip between my teeth, letting him know I was ready. What was going on with him tonight? How bad had the arguing been at his house? I bite my lip again and rub my eyes, hoping he would be here soon.

My wishes were granted when I hear a knock on the door. I swallow hard and stand then make my way to the door. I open the door and nearly whine sadly when I see my Kellin. He stands there with distant eyes and his addicting lips in a deep frown. I wanted to kiss away the sadness.

I didn't know what to say so I just walked forward and shut the door behind me. I wrap my arms around him in a hug and lean into him and furrow my eyebrows when he doesn't enclose his pale arms around me. I squeeze him and nudge my nose against his tee shirt. He sniffles and finally pulls me tighter against him.

His chest keeps quivering and then he'd stop himself. I wanted him to know it was okay for him to cry but before I could speak he drops his arms and grabs my hand and pulls me off the porch and leads me to the car. I feel my eyes widen at the sudden jolt of action but don't say anything.

When we're in the car, he clasps my hand tightly and just drives. I watch him most of the time but his facial expression hardly changes the whole time. I had only seen him like this one other time and it was just as painful as it was then, when there was nothing I could do to comfort him.

So I let him have his silence and waited to arrive at the coffee shop. I pull my hand away and he glances at me but looks back at the road when my hand goes to the middle of his thigh. I trace my thumb there comfortingly. He sighs and his body visibly relaxes a little, but his face is practically the same.

When we arrive, I pull my hand away and follow him inside, his hand now tangled with mine. "We were just about to close, dude." A young guy working there said. Kellin shrugs and leads me to the counter. I send the guy an apologetic look and he just sighs.

Once we order and receive our drinks, a silent process besides the sound of the espresso machine, we go to the table in the back. Kellin's eyes are rimmed red. His hands are trembly. His lip is being torn by his teeth. I wish he'd talk to me.

"You're worrying me, darling, what's wrong?"

He looks up at me and bites the inside of his cheek. "I don't want to live in that house anymore. I can't take it. I'm done. I'm fucking...I'm done, Vic. I don't care how dumb or crazy I sound right now-- I'm just telling you." His voice shakes as his lips fall deeper into frown.

I knot our fingers together and my eyebrows furrow. I was listening and that's all I knew to do. I rubbed my thumb over his hand, which was still shaking in my own. "I hate those bastards. So up their own ass," he mutters, wiping his eyes with his free hand. He looked like a totally different person right now.

This was like déjà-vu. Usually, he was comforting me, but it occurred to me that I sounded be so selfish. I wasn't the only one of us two with problems. I bit my lip and squeezed his hand. "Kellin, what happened?" I ask quietly. He sips his drink, his eyes trained on mine.

"My dad. I thought he was the good one, you know? And my mom storms off and I don't get why I can just have coffee with my boyfriend without causing a family argument. It makes me sick. They make me sick. I don't care. Want to drive around?"

"Slow down, babe. Just...take a breath." I say with raised eyebrows. He does as I say and leans back in the chair and sips his drink again. I smile a little and rub his hand again. "Come on." He pulls me up and I nearly drop my coffee. I start to say something but he is so set on leaving now. All this back and forth was confusing me.

The workers are yelling about not paying. "Kellin--"

"Come on." He pulls me out and we run to the car. It gave me a rush that I didn't know how to react to. The coffee mixed with adrenaline was making my mind scatter, not mentioning Kellin.

As soon as he starts the car, I start asking questions. He didn't offer very thorough answers. All I knew was that his dad had really pissed him off and now he was freaking out. "Just let me calm down, Vic," he tells me when we stop at a red light. "I needed to see you. That's what I needed to calm down, so just let me. Just relax." So I try to. He sounded sincere.

My cheeks flushed at his words but I didn't mention that.