Extra: Afterward

{Time skip: 2030, 5 years since the engagement.}

"Oh, you're getting so big," I huffed, looking down into my child's green eyes. Alexei's eyes.

Her blonde hair was still short, put into ponytails by me. I watched as she walked towards me slowly. I bent down on my knees to meet her, stretching out my arms as I kissed her cheek.

I felt her giggle as she said, "Mommy!"

"Hi, precious," I murmured onto her soft cheek, pulling away with a wide smile. "How was your day with daddy?"

She gave me a clumsy thumbs up, and I reached over her to ruffle her hair. "Speaking of daddy, where is he?"

And then Alexei came through the doorway, flowers in hand. My favorites, orange marigolds. I stood, picking up my daughter and resting her against me as I made my way towards my husband. He put the flowers down on a small table beside us, and then kissed my forehead lightly. After that, he bent down by his waist and kissed my inflated stomach next. "How are you, my love?"

"Are you talking to me, or our son?" I joke as he stood back up.

"Both," he responds, flashing his bright smile at me, and then looks over at Elle, raising his hand to hold hers. "Are you excited for your brother?" He asks her.

She nodded, removing her hands from around my neck to reach for him. I sighed, shaking my head as I grinned. "I feel betrayed."

He scooped her up, holding her on his hip as he laughed at me. "She's always been a daddy's girl."

"Let's just hope this one favors me instead," I sigh, rubbing my pregnant stomach. "Your daddy's an evil, evil man," I murmured to the baby inside of me.

He kissed me on the lips, a smile spreading on his mouth. "Our daughter is smart, what can I say."

I rolled my eyes, jabbing him in the ribs with my elbow. "Be quiet."

"Uncle..," Elle mumurs, putting one of her fingers in her mouth.

"Uncle Gideon will be here soon, don't worry."

"And aunt?"

I chuckled softly, petting her head. "Aunt Sofia will be here, too. Don't worry."

"Uncle Sam?"

"Samuel and Camden will be here too." She opened her mouth, but I finished for her. "Uncle Cameron, too. Silly girl. They all adore you too much to stay away," I remind her, gently plucking her hand out of her mouth. "Plus, your cousin Cassie will be here."

Finally happy with my answers, she smiled and started to blink lazily. "Tired already?"

She nodded, and Alexei went to tuck her in for a nap in her room. When he came back, he wrapped his arms around me and kissed me, his stomach lightly pressing against my baby bump. I planted my hands on both sides of his face, kissing him back gently before pulling away.

"If you have to go to work, it's okay. I know they need you out there," I say, keeping a hand on his face.

"I took vacation time for a reason, Julia, darling," he sighs, putting his hand over mine, leaning deeper into my palm. "I want to be there whenever he arrives," he tells me, using his other hand to caress my stomach. "I'm not missing that again."

"You're a nurse, Alexei," I say. "It's not your fault you missed seeing Elle's birth. You were doing your job. We really needed the money then," I remind him, holding his hand with my free one. "It was three years ago, Lexi. It's okay."

"I'm still upset about it, though."

"Well, you'll be here for Beau's, so it's okay," I console. "You are a great father, Lexi. It's okay if you do happen to miss a birth, because I know you'll be there for every other single event in our children's lives. You're only 29. We have more events to go to for our kids. Their birth isn't the last, it's the first."