(Chapter 3) KIT

I joined the leaders of the other nine units in the main meeting room waiting for the arrival of General Sinclair, leader of our sector. I took a seat at the round table and subconsciously rubbed my thumb along the fresh cut on the palm of my hand. My thoughts turned to Emmie and the assessment we both faced in two days. I worried that she would draw the attention of our superiors especially general Sinclair. He has a reputation for being power-hungry and from the few encounters I've had with him, he seemed nothing but cold and calculating. He's the type of person who would see Emmie's power and want to use it for his own sadistic needs. I meant it when I said I would find out more about the merge and the reason behind why her power is different from the others.

"What about you Kit?" I heard a voice say and snapped out of my thoughts. I looked up to see Alice leader of unit two waiting for me to answer.

"Sorry what?" I replied.

"Are you looking forward to the assessment? I heard your daearies is quite the weapon. You should pass with flying colors."She answered with a friendly smile.

"His daearies is an accident waiting to happen" Killian smirked and I glared at him. Killian is the leader of unit five and is an arrogant, self-absorbed pain in everyone's ass. He was made a leader because of his ruthlessness and willingness to use the power of his daearies, Raven, for his own gain. He looked the way you would imagine. He's a big guy with his head shaved around the sides with a dark Mohawk. He has dark almost black eyes and has a scar going across his right eyebrow and down his cheek.

"Don't listen to him. He's just jealous of anyone else who has a powerful daearies" Alice snapped back. The room fell silent as the door to the room swung open and General Sinclair waltzed in with four other army officials.

"Thank you all for attending this meeting. We won't keep you long" He said briefly glancing around the room. A slow ache is growing in my chest getting worse by the second and I can see the other soldiers are shifting uncomfortably in their chairs, also feeling the pain of being separated from their daearies.

"Later on this afternoon, we have recruits joining us for a new merge. You will all be responsible for their training. See to it they settle in and obey the rules" Sinclair addressed the room. Everyone's eyes shifted to one another. A new merge? Why now? What's changed?

"Kit and Killian?" Sinclair said glancing down at a sheet of paper.

"Yes, Sir." We both answered simultaneously.

"It has come to my attention that both of you and your units are up for assessment in two days. I'm giving both of you priority over the training rooms. Make sure your soldiers and daearies are ready, I expect to see results" His voice as cold as ice.

I glanced over to Killian who was already grinning in my direction. Without another word, General Sinclair turned towards the door and left shortly followed by everyone else eager to reunite with their daearies.

"Game on" Killian said turning to me with a smug smile on his face.