Shaken To The Core (A Sarah Geronimo x Angelica Panganiban short story)

"Ay naku, hindi ko kelangan ng jowa, ng kaibigan, I have my job. That's all that matters," Brooke claimed while she spoke to her best friend on the phone. "Sus, ang arte. Makikipagkita ka lang naman. A little coffee here and there, maybe lunch? Henry's not asking na makipag-balikan sayo. He's asking for a reunion. You're not meeting with him alone," Blake replied. "Eh busy nga ako," Brooke said annoyed. "Alam mo namang hindi ako mahilig sa reunion reunion na yan. Hindi nga ako nag-attend sa high school at college reunion ko, yan pa kaya? We had a fall-off for a reason. Para sakin, once kicked out ka na sa buhay ko, it means hindi ka meant to be na maging parte ng life ko. So I have no business mingling with people na hindi na parte ng buhay ko," she explained. "Huy huy huy, hindi ka Diyos for you to close your doors on anyone," Blake reminded her. "Welp, iha. I just did," Brooke disagreed while she didn't bother holding the door open for the person behind her when she entered the restaurant. "Ang sama mo talaga. One of these days, pagsisisihan mo yang attitude mong ganyan. You'll be depressed kasi ang lungkot ng buhay mo kasi you chose to isolate yourself from people," Blake warned. "'Isolate'? Anong isolate? Sus kung pwede lang inisolate ko na sarili ko sa mundo. Yung tipong tinapon na lang ako sa isla at ang population is three: me, myself, and I. That's my type of fairytale. 'And she lived happily ever after on her own, away from people.' Oh what a life that would be. Yet here I am having to deal with idiots, and they're everywhere!" Brooke complained. "Grabe ka talaga. You're going to eat your words some day, bahala ka," Blake claimed. Brooke sighed in response. She set her eyes on the menu that was placed in front of her, "I don't need people. I don't need anyone. I'm fine on my own," Brooke claimed. Blake could barely hear the last thing Brooke said. "Nasan ka ba? I can barely hear you. Choppy ka, sis," she let her friend know. "Well for once sarili ko naman ang tinreat ko sa isang mamahaling restaurant. Sabi ko sayo eh, I'm going to date myself. I'm going to spoil myself. I don't need anybody," Brooke replied. She was at an underground restaurant in New York. She had been dying to try it, and she finally did. "Bakit walang signal if it's so high-end?" Blake asked. The poor signal made her want to hang up already. "I'm at an underground restaurant away from civilization. I'll die here if I could, away from all the unnecessary people," was the last thing Blake heard from her friend before their call was cut off.

Brooke sighed. She continued to look at the menu. She never thought it was possible to be impressed and disappointed at the same time. The presentation looked totally amazing, but the serving size of all the dishes was too small for the price. "Tong mga mayayaman na toh talaga—ang gastos," she complained to herself. After a while, a server made her way to the table. "Hi, ma'am, good evening. Can I start you off with any appetizers now or are you still waiting for someone?" She asked. Brooke looked up from the menu, "What makes you think I have company? Can't a grown and independent woman treat herself at a fine dining and eat alone?" The server forced a smile, "Fair enough. I do apologize, so what can I get for you ma'am?" She asked trying to be polite. Brooke tilted her head at the menu. Then she pointed at one of the pictures. "I'll have that. Whatever that is," she told the server. "Good choice. That's our—" the server was saying when Brooke rudely interrupted her. "You don't need to explain, okay? Just get me the dish already. You should have been at my table ages ago, now I'm starving," she complained. Before the server could leave the table, Brooke said, "Oh, and you should try it." The server turned her head to look at her. "I'm sorry, try what, ma'am?" She asked. Brooke smirked, "Treat yourself and eat at a fine dining—that is, if you can afford it."

Nia, the server, was taken aback. This was the fifth customer she had dealt with that day that has given her an attitude, and for a high-end restaurant, none of the previous rude customers even left a tip. "Konting tiis na lang," she promised herself though she had the urge to cry.

"Water, with NO ice," Brooke specifically asked when Nia brought her a glass filled with iced water. "Sorry, ma'am. I'll get you water with no ice," Nia apologized while she collected the glass from Brooke's table. "And can you follow up on that appetizer? It's taking too long for so tiny of a dish," Brooke claimed. "Yes, ma'am. Sorry for the wait. I'll be sure to check up on it," Nia gave her a nod. She was exhausted, but she kept her composure all throughout. The city brought the rudest of the customers that day, she thought the last hour of her shift couldn't come any sooner. She had been working over time for seven days just to provide for her family in the Philippines. All she wanted to do was go home, take a nice long shower, eat, and then sleep. She thought it was exhausting just thinking about the fact that she had to do all of it again the next day.