My Life, Take 2 (An AshLea Short Story Part 2)

Well, that was definitely one for the books. If I'm asleep and dreaming right now, I'm not sure if this is still a nightmare.

I smiled and waved at the people while they stood and gave me an applause. They love me—err I mean, they love me as Rosie. She's still a part of me, so I'll take it. I hope that helped them forget that I completely ditched them tonight.

I took a deep breath while I exited the stage. The adrenaline was still at its highest. I love it. I never felt so alive.

Now to find my daughter. Where did that maldita go?

"Mimi!" I called out to my secretary by mistake. "I uh—ate Mimi," I corrected myself immediately before she could even notice. Mimi hurried towards me. She had this look on her face, and I couldn't tell whether it was good or not. "Utos ba yun ng mommy mo?" She asked when she reached me. "Alin?" I asked back. "Na kumanta ka?" She asked again. I paused.

Was that something I would ask my daughter to do for me?

"Oo," I replied to her without really thinking it through. She grabbed me by the wrist and pulled me towards an empty room. She closed the door behind us. "Rosie, ano ba talagang nangyayari?" She asked. "Ha? I sang to make the people forget na nagkaron ng problema sa part ni mom. I'm just trying to help," I explained. Mimi shook her head. "Alam ko mahal mo ang mommy mo pero that's not you. You wouldn't do that for her," she told me. I frowned. I guess Rosie would never in a million years do what I just had the balls to do earlier. I sighed.

I guess I have to tell her the truth.

"Mimi, it's me," I finally came clean. Mimi frowned. "I'm the president," I told her. "Rosie," she whined. "No. I'm not Rosie. She and I switched outfits kanina. The misfit you saw na kakambal supposedly ni Rosie, that was me," I tried to explain. "Rosie," she was almost begging for me to cut the crap.

I wish I could.

"Mimi, please. Believe me. I don't know what happened to me. Hindi ko alam bakit ako nabalik sa pagka-bata. I honestly thought this was just a dream pero look at me," I laid my arms out in front of her. "I'm young again," I added. I was on the verge of tears.

How am I going to convince my secretary that this is me? It sounds totally crazy. Even I couldn't believe it myself. Then I thought of something.

"Gary. You told me Gary wants to file a divorce," I said. "I'm so sorry. Wala akong ibang alam na sabihin sayo to prove that it really is me. I'm sorry to remind you of it. Ako lang ang sinabihan mo nun, right? You finally told me that when I noticed you weren't being yourself about a couple of weeks ago, and you begged me not to let anyone know," I reminded her.

"Madam." One word and it was as if the whole world was taken right off of my shoulders even though I know the problem isn't even close to being fixed. At least she believes me now.

Then she shook her head. "Baka sinabi lang yun ng mama mo sayo," she said.

Really? Is that how she sees me?

"You of all people—I would think you trust me with every part of you." I was honestly hurt.

"Madam." She said again.

"If you can't trust me with your personal problems then how can you trust me to run the whole country?" I asked. I probably made her feel guilty. She should be guilty.

"Sorry po, madam. Hindi po kasi ako makapaniwala. Ang hirap pong paniwalaan ang lahat ng toh pero tama po kayo. Pinagkakatiwalaan ko po kayo sa mga sikreto ko," she told me. "I can't blame you. I can't believe this is happening to me either," I told her. "Isang tanong na lang po," she said. "Nasan po si Rosie kung ikaw po ang presidente?" She asked. I shook my head. "I don't know. I was hoping you could tell me where she's gone to," I said honestly. Then she sighed. "Madam, ano na hong plano nyong gawin ngayon?" She asked.