My Life, Take 2 (An AshLea Short Story Part 1)

"Madam, the stage is ready," one of my assistants informed me, so I finally got up from that seemingly uncomfortable chair and stretched my back.

Hm, that must have been a good rest because my back seems to be cooperating. No pain whatsoever. Oddly new, but satisfying to say the least.

I'm ready. I hope the crowd is, too.

"Let me use the restroom one more time," I told my people.

I sat on the toilet stretching my neck this time. Hmm. No stubborn aching neck either. Very interesting. My body seems to be in sync tonight. I wish it was always like this.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Nervous? Nah. I was born for this.

I walked towards the bathroom sink, let a few pumps of hand soap drop into my hands—wait a second.

I gasped.

My hands!

They're not mine!

I hurriedly got the tap going, scrubbing both my hands together as if that would bring them back to normal.

"What the hell is going—"

I screamed.

Then I gasped again.

My voice—it sounded—

Young.

I must be dreaming. I must have fallen asleep on that chair and woke up in this strange dream.

I gave myself a couple of pinches on the arm.

I'm awake.

"Madam? Okay lang ho kayo dyan?"

I was snapped back to reality.

O God, what on earth is going on???

I slowly peeked at the mirror again with one eye shut, praying to God that my eyes were just going bad.

My 30-something-year old self stared right back at me.

I swear, my heart is about to leap out of my chest any second now. My eyes must be playing tricks on me.

Impossible. I shut my eyes then opened them again. I blinked a few times. "Oh God," I uttered when my younger self did not disappear. She stared as though she was mocking me, "Hi, I'm back." I must be going crazy because I think I just saw her wink at me.

God! Am I going crazy???

I'm losing it. I am definitely losing it.

Was it my new pain medication? Is it causing me hallucinations? I need to get to the bottom of this.

But how the hell am I going out like this??? They can't see me like this!

Think. Think. You're Ruby Aragon. You're smart. You're the Philippines' president for goodness sake! Think! And you have to think fast!

I grabbed my phone. My daughter. That's all I could think of.

"Rosie," I said when she finally answered. "Thank God you answered my call!" I was relieved.

"Sino toh?" Rosie asked.

Oh, to my dismay!

"For crying out loud, I'm your mother!"

Oh, that stubborn—she hung up on me.

I called her again.

"Please, Rosie. Come to the bathroom. Hurry!" I pleaded.