An odd pair

Zim walked quickly to school, he was late and he hadn't been able to try out his PAK. It looked the same as his old one, grey with large purple spots, so the change in bags wouldn't make Dib suspicious. Even though he hadn't had time to make sure the PAK worked, he brought it anyway, just in case Dib started something. There was a compartment in the bag to put his notebooks and homework in so he wouldn't forget anything. At first, he had thought that was a good idea but now he was regretting it, the bag five times heavier than normal.

When he got to the school, there was no one outside and he bit back a curse, running inside. He walked inside his class nervously, Dib immediately looking at him by his seat near the window. "Zim! So nice you could join us." The teacher, Mrs.Bitters said with a sneer. "Now sit down." Zim sat in his seat by the door, apologizing for being late.

As class droned on, Zim noticed that Dib was completely silent. His enemy was just doodling in his notebook, very unlike Dib. He usually would go on a rant about how Zim was an alien, but maybe he did that before Zim got there. The teacher dismissed them for lunch and Zim walked into the crowded hall, hearing Dib walking behind him.

"Hey, Zim!" He said, Dib walking next to him now. "Why were you late?" Zim waited for the comment about Zim being doing 'alien stuff' before school but it didn't come.

"Zim simply woke up late, Dib-Thing," Zim said, staring ahead of him, hoping that Dib would just leave but his classmate followed him anyway. "Zim's alarm didn't go off and he was up for a long while last night." He had been working on his PAK almost all night and had forgotten to set his alarm.

"Oh," Dib said, waving to his sister who walked out of a class ahead of them. "Hi Gaz" Gaz grunted, pulling a GameBoy out of her pocket and promptly ignoring them as she walked with them.

"Hello, Gaz-Sister." Zim greeted and Gaz glanced at him with a nod. "What is it that you are playing?" Gaz paused her game and looked up, her purple bangs falling into her squinted eyes.

"Vampire Piggy Hunter." She said and Zim nodded, a bit confused having never played the game. "You kill a bunch of vampire pigs" Zim blinked, watching her unpause the game and slaughter pigs with a questionable amount of gore.

"Interesting," Zim said, a bit unnerved by Gaz's game choice. He noticed Dib watching him and Zim looked away, uncomfortable by Dib's unwavering stare. They got to the lunchroom and Zim sat down, Dib sitting across from him and Gaz next to him. They usually sat a few tables away, Gaz occasionally sitting with him if Dib was talking too much. It was odd having them sit with him, Zim not used to the company.

Zim pulled his lunch out of his bag, Dib giving him an odd look. "I thought you got school lunch," Dib said and Zim shrugged.

"The food here is terrible." Zim said, "So Zim brought lunch." Dib nodded, looking skeptical but didn't say anything as he and Gaz got up to go get their lunches. After a lunch full of random conversation and Dib staring, they got up and went back to class.

After school ended, Dib and Gaz accompanied Zim to their street, the Membranes house right on the street corner, and Zim at the other end of the street. "Bye, Zim!" Dib called, Zim looking puzzled as nemesis waved from his driveway. "See you tomorrow!"

Zim waved back and hurried to his home, thinking about how odd the Membrane children really were. He walked inside and took his shoes off by the door, heading to the living room where he heard the T.V. blasting some children's' program.

"GIR!" Zim shouted over the T.V. "Turn that down, please!" The little robot looked at him and picked up the remote, turning his show down.

"Master!" GIR said happily and hopped off the couch, toddling over to Zim who patted the robot's head. "I gots a moose!" GIR held up a small purple plush that was indeed a tiny moose. GIR started talking to Zim as he went upstairs to do homework, the robot sitting on his desk and playing with the small stuffed animal.

There was a tapping on Zim's window and Zim looked up, confused to see Dib in the tree right next to his room's window. "Dib-Thing!?" Zim said, confused. Dib was crouched on the branch closed to Zim's window, throwing tiny pebbles at the glass to get Zim's attention. Zim got up and went to the window, pushing the window open. "What on Earth is the Dib-Thing doing here!?"

"I wanted to talk to you," Dib said with a grin, shifting on his branch. "I want to be friends."