Chapter Six

A/N: So that took ages, largely because of who I am as a person. Seriously though, Life Advice: Don't promise to update things when you have assignments due. And then don't avoid doing those assignments by spending far too much time on fanfiction.net. And definitely don't make unreasonable promises to update your fanfiction.net stories too, still while ignoring your assignments. And then don't get to a week before the assignments are due, panic, and install a website-blocker plugin to force yourself to stop procrastinating. Actually, do that last one, but don't get into a position where you have to do that... Basically, guys, just do your damn homework.

We decide that there is nothing much we can do aside from keeping a close eye on Katrina. So, when we arrive back at The Dollhouse, we go back to our work as if nothing happened. We have only just resumed our note-taking when Katrina emerges from the stairwell. She crosses the floor to us immediately, a broad smile already plastered on her face.

I am immediately suspicious.

"Well done, you two, on your first day," she says when she reaches us.

I frown, confused.

"So we can go home already?" Jules says. "Awesome!"

"Not quite," Katrina says with a smile, missing the sarcasm. "You have to stay here until three, but now you can move onto the fun part of your work experience." She looks at both of us with wide, excited eyes, waiting for us to share her enthusiasm.

"What's the fun part?" I ask after an uncomfortable few seconds pause.

"Play testing of course," she announces, waving her arms around the floor. "You can go to any floor you like, and enjoy your afternoon! Make sure you log on with your placement IDs."

She waves goodbye and walks off to the next floor to tell the others.

"Urgh," I say when she is out of sight.

"Agreed," Jules mutters. "Where do you want to go?"

"Here's as good as anywhere," I say, looking up at the mezzanine. "There are two seats up there. Want to go sit down?"

We take our seats in one of the corners. The view of the floor is partially obscured from these seats by the pillars that run along the mezzanine, which is probably why these seats have been left free.

"Do you reckon we get assessed on this?" I mutter to Jules, scanning the list of available Lessers, their profiles scrolling through on the com's screen.

He shrugs, looking bored. "Hard to see how we could be." He suddenly puts on a serious voice. "Cameron Bree showed exceptional skill in the delivery of her commands, picking up her com and putting it down again with what can only be described as lightning reflexes."

I give him a shove. He laughs. "You know what I mean," I say, grinning all the same. "Are we expected to end up on the top score board or something?"

Jules pulls a face. "Hope not," he says. "I don't really feel like sitting here long enough to earn The Most Cupcakes Baked In One Session award."

"Is that how you get points?" I ask, looking at the top score board curiously.

"Pretty much," Jules says. "There are loads of different achievements, but they're all basically the same."

"How do the Lessers earn points?" I ask.

He gives me a sideways look. "By following commands quickly and efficiently," he explains. "And by showing loyalty to a top gamer."

I keep my face carefully neutral.

"Who are you picking?" Jules asks after a minute.

"You know, I really don't care." I spin the list and tap my finger down randomly. It selects a male Lesser in what looks like his early thirties. "Danny," I say, reading the name off his profile.