New Divide

This one is for chesterbenningtonfan, who has waited so unbelievably long for this. (Sorry.) This is going to be my last OneShot in this story, but if you'd like to request more my DM's are open. Of course I don't know when I'll start up another OneShots story, but I'm sure I will someday. Again, sorry for making you wait!!!

Gryffin sat in the studio, rubbing her temples in frustration. Withering Blue, her small garage band with friends had just blown up and she hadn't gotten used to all the chaos yet.

"GRYFFIN, WHERE ARE YOU?" She heard her best friend Dayton yell from another room.

"I'M IN HERE! WHY?" Gryffin asked, rolling her eyes.

"You'll never believe what just happened!" Dayton ran into the room, clearly excited.

"What happened?" Gryffin turned around in her swivel chair to face her ecstatic friend.

"You know Transformers?" He asked.

"Duh, who doesn't? What does that have to do with anything?" She snarked.

"Well, they're coming out with a new movie." Dayton stated.

This immediately caught Gryffin's attention. "Shut up."

"No. I'm serious!" Dayton's voice rose a few octaves."

"Well, tell me more!" Gryffin now nearly matched the excitement Dayton was feeling.

"I just got an email, from the directors! They want US to write a song for the movie!" Dayton jumped up in excitement.

"Wow Dayton, that's awesome!" Gryffin genuinely smiled at her friend."

"There's more." Dayton smirked.

"Get on with it!" Gryffin demanded.

"Not only are we writing a song for the movie, we are writing it with none other than..." Dayton's voice lowered a bit.

"Than who? Tell me!" Gryffin pleaded.

"Linkin Park!" The both of them squealed are the mention of their favorite band, the one that inspired Withering Blue in the first place.

"No freaking way!" Gryffin stood up and jumped around in excitement with Dayton. "Wait, what if this is a scam?" Gryffin asked.

"Oh c'mon, it's not a scam." Dayton rolled his eyes at Gryffin as he walked into the room he had come from, a computer sitting atop a table in their studio.

"Look, here's the email. It's not a scam!" Dayton smiled as he watched his best friend's face change from a conflicted one to a more excited one.

"Fuck yeah!"

About a week later, after they had discussed the once-in-a-lifetime invitation with the rest of their band, they stood outside of NRG studios. They exchanged a few nervous glances back and forth before Gryffin opened the entrance door.

Inside, a woman about their age sat at the front desk, eyeing the band before she recognized who they were. "Ah, if it isn't Withering Blue! Welcome to NRG Studios!" She greeted the band, shaking each one of their hands. "Come inside, I'll introduce you to the members of Linkin Park."

Gryffin squeezed Dayton's hand nervously. She didn't realize that they'd be meeting the band right away, and after the huge impact they made on her life and the band, she wasn't sure if she was ready.

"Gryff, you got this. C'mon." Dayton let go of his friends hand and followed the woman into the hallway.

The hallway was long and lined with lots of doors. The woman opened the door labeled Studio A and led the band into the large studio. A wave of audible gasps echoed throughout the room as they looked around at the studio that was a lot nicer than the one they had recorded their first album in.

Dayton immediately recognized a man as he poked his head into the room. It was Mike Shinoda. At this moment, he began to feel all of the nerves that Gryffin was feeling. Seeing him in person was not something he ever expected to happen.

"Guys, come out here! Withering Blue is here!" Mike ducked back into the room he'd just come out of to inform his friends of the guests in their studio. He arrived once again to greet them. "Hi, I'm Mike!" He shook hands with everyone as he introduced himself.

"Oh, we know! Withering Blue is inspired a lot by you." Dayton stated.

"Oh, really?" Mike asked, smiling. He loved to hear that he had made an impact.

Dayton looked back at Gryffin, who stood there mouth agape.

Pretty soon, the rest of Linkin Park trickled our into the room. "Well, seeing as you like our music, you probably know Chester, Brad, Rob, and Dave." Mike smiled as his bandmates shook everyone's hands.

"We're so excited to work with you!" Gryffin managed to say. Dayton smiled at his friend.

Days later, progress on the song had officially begun. It was a dream to work with Linkin Park, and actually doing so felt so surreal. Dayton couldn't believe how well everything was going.

"Dayton, can you come over here a second?" Chester asked.

"Yeah, what's up?" Dayton stood next to Chester as he read over some of the lyrics.

"What do you think of these?
I remembered black skies
The lightning all around me
I remembered each flash
As time began to blur
Like a startling sign
That fate had finally found me
And your voice was all I heard
That I get what I deserve" Chester read to Dayton, who was incredibly impressed.

"Dude, that's awesome! That's so deep man." Dayton replied.

"Thanks!" Chester smiled and patted Dayton's shoulder. He walked away, going to show everyone else his lyrics.

The melody of the song had already been composed, and it sounded awesome. Dayton felt that Chester's lyrics perfectly fit the song and the flow. He also felt so relieved to know how Linkin Park made their music in the studio. He knew they'd definitely take some inspiration from them.

Months later, the song had been finished. The band was about to perform it at the 02 Arena to debut the song, and there was no doubt everyone was excited for it.

As the opening notes to the song began to play, the members of Withering Blue stood onstage, glancing at the insane crowd in front of them. Albeit nervous, they had performed the first half of the set well, and they were exited to surprise the crowd, who had no idea Linkin Park was even performing with them. It was insane to them to know how many people stood out in that crowd, ready to hear Withering Blue perform, again, they hadn't gotten used to the insanity.

Gryffin began to sing the opening lyrics as the crowd eagerly listened to the new song. As the song progressed, Mike and Chester jumped out onto the stage as the crowd erupted into cheers. Chester took over singing as the rest of Linkin Park took their places.

The crowd roared as the song continued on. Gryffin and Chester sang together now, and it was melodic. Gryffin's voice sounded like classic rock, but made it cool again. It worked so well with Chester's equally empowering raspy vocals.

That night was definitely one of the best I'm Dayton's life. A night that would definitely go down in music history.