TWENTY-EIGHT (ISELEN POV)

"Don't look at me like that... I didn't shoot, if that's what's bothering you... Owen always fixes his own messes personally."

"She's dead, then..."

"Damn it, Iselen, do you really want to know it?"

No, I don't want to. To be honest, no, and that's why I stopped trying. Well, and because my head was killing me... It was the worst hangover of my life. In addition to that, I was really busy: I went with Adara to the doctor for Nessa's routine check-up, Pilar wanted more recipes for the pub and Owen kept his promise and introduced me to the architects working for his construction companies. They all praised my talent when they saw my drawings, took my business card and swore they were going to call me as soon as they started a new project. And I know they'll do it, they're scared of the head of the Irish mob and won't ignore his niece's fiancée who's also his daughter's best friend. Besides, everybody knows those two girls will inherit all the companies sooner or later... News travel fast in this family.

Moreover, despite we haven't picked out a date for the ceremony yet, Jasmine insisted on the fact that it was about time to make decisions and I'd need Kate's help because she's the best wedding planner in the entire city. The first step would be visiting her in her Manhattan office given that she was the one who was going to interview me and decide if we had chemistry, although Jas was sure she'd accept the job because no one dares to say no to Owen. She'd show me free dates when she was willing to work bearing in mind that we'd need at least three months to get things right and the wedding ceremony would be right after that period of time. So, basically, Kate was going to pick out the day I was going to get married depending on her busy schedule and I'd have to settle for that.

The situation seemed ridiculous to me but Jasmine swore that all these troubles would be worth it, even if the lady was a haughty diva... and she was right. Despite my initial reluctance, I couldn't help but to watch fascinated the pictures Kate showed me from other weddings she had organized: boho chic, country style, a fairy tale, a French garden, in a museum or on the beach... There were infinite options and her attention to detail was amazing, she chose elegant decorations, perfect flowers and food looked delicious... And she would be in charge of everything, arguing with suppliers and fixing problems, all I'd have to do is to buy a dress and be there the agreed day and time. She would be in charge of everything else... I thought it was a great idea and would love a simple ceremony anyways... something casual with a touch of elegance.

"What do you think of her?" Jas asks smiling triumphantly because she knows she's managed to impress me while we walk across the entrance hall of the building.

"I've loved her, honestly, and if Kate takes care of thousands of details of my wedding I'll be able to relax and enjoy with my family and friends instead of becoming a crazy woman during the weeks before the ceremony," I can't help chuckling picturing Godzilla wearing a white tulle veil in my head. "It'll be a nice party..."

"There'll be lot of guests, it's Owen's niece the one getting married but she also has a high status in the Company on her own merit."

"That's exactly the point, Jas, I can't picture Glenna, Moina, Seamus, Erin and everybody enjoying while eating oysters and caviar... My family is not like that either... I want you to have fun, I want delicious but unpretentious food, drinks and music and go back home at dawn with my shoes ruined after dancing all night long and my ribs sore because I couldn't stop laughing... I want to have fun with Ruby not giving a damn about Owen's Wall Street stupid friends and their judgemental wives."

"Sounds good to me, Iselen, count me in... It'll be an epic party. Patrick is there..." My bodyguard smiles, opening the car door for us while monitoring the sidewalk, and Ronan waits behind the wheel. I nod and walk towards them absentmindedly, holding in my hand some brochures about flower arrangements and gold-edged invitation cards that Kate gave me when I hear a loud bang, like a firecracker echoing through the street, and something grazes my shoulder. Suddenly, chaos erupts around me. People run everywhere crying while I hear more firecrackers, someone trips over my foot and the brochures fall on the ground but I can't bend down to take them back because Jasmine is pushing me at the same time Patrick pulls my arm.