TWENTY-NINE (ISELEN POV)

A month later.

"Babe, what are you doing here? Aren't you cold?"

"I have a blanket," I whisper watching the gorgeous garden and old trees, the stone fountain and the hills in the distance. Different shades of green are mesmerizing, the grey rocks of the walls and some purple leaves on bushes only manage to make the emerald green colour stand out. Ruby sits down on the bench next to me and puts her arm over my shoulders, kissing my forehead while I fix the blanket on her legs and lean my body on her side. "Ireland is so beautiful..."

"Yes, but mornings are cold, the wet grass has soaked your slippers and breakfast is ready in the conservatory, I've made coffee..."

"Okay, let's go," I answer getting up in a rush and dragging the couch blanket behind me. My fiancée chuckles and walks towards the old house, opening the French doors for me and pointing at the food on the table that Mrs. O'Moran has made for us before going back to the village to run some errands: eggs, crunchy bacon, toasts, roasted tomatoes and fresh fruit. Coffee is delicious and I can't help sighing happily: this "early honeymoon" is the best idea Owen has ever had.

The truth is that he needed to get us out of the way for some time till things cool down a little, Ruby's uncle has phoned all his contacts used all his influence so the consequences of the terrible shooting in the middle of New York didn't affect us, citizens were understandably outraged and politicians scared in case they were going to lose votes, they needed to find the culprits to punish them soon. Owen paid a lot of money to journalists and media directors and they shared news averting attention from our Irish gang blaming it on other criminals. Some senators had doubts and they almost withdrew their support because judges and prosecutors persuaded them, telling them that the Company was doomed and Owen had no influence whatsoever: the old Irish man would end up in prison along with is trusted minions... my girl was one of them, of course.

But they were wrong because Owen's tentacles reach Wall Street and Washington, very important businessmen have his back and he was able to avoid this mess, once again. But he needed to calm things down while investigating if the Jordan family or the heads of rival gangs were responsible for the shooting and he needed us out of the country given that the fact that I'm walking freely across Manhattan is a provocation directed against Robert's family. I have no idea how he reached an agreement with the parole officer but two days after the incident we were flying to Ireland to spend a vacation in Owen's grandparents' house , 45 minutes away from Dublin by car, that he bought to his cousins and carefully restored. The entire property is a beauty and we've spent some wonderful weeks here.

"So the Kelly family has always lived in this village, since the 17th century at least..." I whisper looking at the old stable that's now a garage through the wide windows. The entire house has been restored with exquisite taste preserving some old architectural details and someone has bought gorgeous furniture in antiques markets that matches the style perfectly.

"Yes, my great-grandparents got married and had lots of kids, lot of Kellys... Fourteen, in fact, of whom twelve reached adulthood." Ruby answers chuckling before pouring more coffee. "That was the greatest problem of this family, they always had lot of children and feed them all was a nightmare, sending them to the capital to study and helping them to boost their career, even if they were owners of good farmland. The main house was built in 1800, they built a smaller one behind it at the beginning of the 20th century and they finally connect them with this conservatory that's now the kitchen, dining room and living room... But they still needed more bedrooms and cash. My granddad and some of his siblings decided to move to New York where they already had friends and family living and working to be able to build a better future. Some of them met their wives on the ship..."