Chapter 11: Prove it

Even in the dark, the city was glowing and bright. The name "city that never sleeps" seemed very accurate right then, which was reassuring when I thought of the meeting.

I had my phone set on Parker's number, ready to call if necessary. I also had a can of pepper spray that I picked up from my apartment, only to be used in emergencies.

When I made it to the Metropolitan Museum of Art the only person there was a woman, she was leaning on a wall and texting. I sat on the steps and began to look out for any potential creeps.

I felt a tap on my shoulder,
in my surprise I leaped up and nearly fell down the stairs, but the woman grabbed me and stopped my fall.

"A model who loses her balance, huh?"

"How do you know I'm a model, do I know you?"

"No, but I know you, Charlotte."

Every fiber in my body told me to run, but I stayed firmly planted in place, "So what exactly do you want from me?"

"I want you to leave."

"Excuse me?"

"Look, kid, I'm not after you. I'm delivering a message. The person who hired me wants you to pick up your belongings and high tail it out of New York."

"I'm sorry, but I can't do that."

"Why not?"

"I'm a model, I signed a contract."

The woman smiled and handed me an envelope, "This here contains everything you need to get out of the contract."

"Who do you work for?"

"Alas, I don't know. An anonymous source on the internet with deep pockets I presume. If I were you, I would leave, this guy sounds like bad news." The woman warned.

"It's a guy?"

"I don't know, maybe, I just wouldn't risk it."

"Alright, let's try a different question, why does this previously mentioned guy want me to leave?" I asked.

"I don't know, I'm just the messenger."

She didn't wait for me to ask another question, she walked down the front steps and got into a taxi. She was gone before I could process what happened.

I opened the envelop; there was only one thing inside.

Cash. And lots of it, too.

I shoved the wad of money into the envelope and checked my surroundings to see if anyone saw me. The last thing I wanted was to get mugged. I practically ran back to my own apartment.

When I got there I texted Veronica explaining I was sick and wouldn't be able to make it tonight. I felt bad for lying, but sometimes you just have to get your priorities in order.

I locked myself in my room and took out all the cash. With each hundred dollar bill my eyes became wider and wider.

Five hundred thousand dollars. I was sitting on my bed holding an envelope from some stranger containing five hundred thousand dollars. Why did this stranger want me out of this contract so bad? Why did they want me gone? Nothing added up.

I hid the envelope by pulling out my vanity, taping it to the back, and shoving the vanity against the wall. I wasn't taking a chance in anyone else finding this.

I didn't leave my room for the rest of the night, but I didn't get any sleep either.

I'm in way over my head