Chapter 4: Peeping Toms

Parker set me down onto the catwalk when he finally noticed the person walking towards us.

The first thing the doctor said when he reached us was, "What happened?"

"She fell." Parker replied with a shrug. The doctor gave him a quizzical look.

"I'm serious this clutz actually fell off the catwalk, this is not my fault." Parker crossed his arms over his chest, "if I was trying to hurt her I wouldn't have told someone to call a doctor."

This seemed to calm the doctor and he nodded in agreement before lightly pressing my leg in different areas. On certain spots around my ankle I would yelp in pain.

"I don't think it's broken but we should still x-ray it to be sure. This is most likely a sprain." The doctor said at last.

Parker nodded and scooped me up again. Veronica was no where to be seen and I wondered where she went.

We followed the doctor back to a regular car and eventually to a small hospital.

Once we were in the hospital room Parker called my mom to let her know what happened and the doctor sat me down in a wheel chair. He rolled me off to a room with a big table and an even bigger machine looming over it.

It hurt like hell when he moved my foot around to take the x-rays, but I really wanted to see if it was broken, so I didn't fight the doctor.

The doctor was finished relatively quickly and Parker was invited into the room, along with my mother, who must have just shown up.

"It's not broken." The doctor said with a small smile, "you should be back on your feet in no time. Try to stay off of it as much as possible for now. Ice it and elevate it, take some Advil if you must. There isn't much more you can actually do."

I sighed in relief. I didn't want to ruin my summer any further by having to get a cast.

The doctor led us to a different room and wrapped my foot in an ace bandage, "if it gets any worse don't hesitate to call us." He handed me a pair of crutches, nodded at my mother, and then left the room.

"I'll go pay, stay here I'll be right back." My mom instructed, leaving through the same door as the doctor.

"Maybe we should have started with pictures. Pictures are completely harmless." Parker said.

"Don't jinx it." I muttered.

"You should have told me you were so clumsy." Parker smirked and leaned against a wall on the opposite side of the room as me.

"You didn't ask."

"Well I'm asking now, do you have any other problems I should be aware of?"

"If I eat a tomato I'll die." I shrugged.

"Alright, duly noted. Anything else?"

"I'm pretty clumsy and I don't really have a sense of fashion." I added.

"An interesting combination for a fashion designer's daughter." Parker laughed.

"My mom is a CFO not a designer."

"Your mom worked her way up the ranks, she started as an assistant designer. Why is it that I know this and you don't? The reason my mom wanted your mom so early was so she could help her put the finishing touches on the fashion designs for the upcoming show. Sarah Weatherford is probably the closest thing my mom has to a real friend." Parker shrugged.

I couldn't believe the designer of Adessi viewed my mom as a somewhat friend and wanted her help. But even more than that, I was thinking about Parker's earlier question, why didn't I know my mom used to be a designer? The truth was, my mother had just never mentioned it. This made no sense, why would someone go from being a designer to being a chief financial officer? I guess people change their minds about career choices. I'd have to ask her about it later.