~Chapter Ten~

Will rolled his suitcase out to the awaiting car, handing the heavy bag to the driver to put in the trunk. Through the window he spotted Eleanor, typing quickly with her thumbs on her phone, probably updating her family that they were on their way.

A month had passed since she had asked him to be her date to her brother's wedding, and reluctantly, Will had agreed. Now they were taking the Lockwood's private jet- one of them, anyway- to Seattle, where he had booked the nicest hotel for them to stay in afterwards.

Eleanor hadn't argued when Will opted to book a nicer hotel than her own family had gone with, deciding to allow herself to indulge in the perks of having a rich friend.

Things had been tense since Ezra left, but they had kept going as normal. Will had made no move to visit Ethan's office out of class hours, though glances had been exchanged between them that were more than fleeting, but less than longing.

"Where are we staying again?" Eleanor asked when Will climbed into the car, sliding into the seat next to her.

Of course, Will knew she already knew the answer, but she just liked to hear him say it. "The Four Seasons," he said, rolling his eyes at her excited squeal. "I also already mentioned the spa, and the bar." He paused. "Did I mention the bar?"

It was Eleanor's turn to roll her eyes. "Listen, this is insane bragging rights against my sister. I may not be engaged, but I'm practically on a spa weekend right now."

A chuckle escaped the rich boy's lips, fishing his phone from his pocket to check his messages. Ever so slowly, the messages had begun to slow this past month. He knew it was because of the call he made to his father last month, the only interaction he'd had with any of his immediate family in a long time.

However unpleasant it may have been. He was sure his father received the message.

Unsurprised to find both texts from Jack and Violet, he deleted them immediately without even reading them. Still, he was unable to face them. Still, he felt sick at the thought of speaking to either of them, knowing they now had a child that he had yet to meet.

His niece, Scarlett. Probably the devil incarnate with Violet as a mother.

"Still, remember the wedding we have to attend," he reminded her, forcing himself back to reality as he put his phone away. "Your parents don't think we're dating, do they?"

She snorted. "God no. They know who you are, Will Lockwood, you can't fool anybody you're straight at this point." He glared at her. "I have to ask, is Max King good in bed?"

Will stiffened. "Be careful what you ask, El, or you might find yourself in a motel tonight."

"Jeez I was kidding, remind me not to mention that again," she muttered.

Will switched the topic of conversation, deciding he wasn't going to spend the rest of this journey in an uncomfortable silence. Though their friendship was new, being together in class had brought them closer, but they never talked about anything serious. It was a given that Eleanor didn't ask personal questions, and in return, he allowed her to blabber about anything she needed to get off her chest.

"So... do you happen to know if any of the guests are gay?"

"I'm pretty sure the best man is," Eleanor said thoughtfully. "Though I'm pretty sure he's engaged."

"Hasn't stopped me before," Will mumbled, causing his friend to elbow him playfully. "I'm kidding, I'm kidding," he argued.

"Sure you are," she remarked sarcastically, causing him to snicker to himself as they pulled up outside the airport.