~Chapter Eighteen~

There was something incredibly depressing about attending a wedding as someone who only argued with their ex boyfriend the night before, knowing that there was no chance you were getting married, or even engaged, anytime soon. When they turned up to the venue, which was a smaller hotel in Seattle, he wondered whether he would ever get married himself. Parker gave him a fucking ring, one that he kept hidden in his bedside drawer in his New York penthouse. Every time he opened his nightstand it taunted him, but he didn't dare move it. If he did that he would probably lose it, and he knew he wasn't willing to let go of it.

"There are my parents," Eleanor said, pointing at two wedding guests that were in a large banquet hall set up for the wedding ceremony. It was definitely decorated beautifully, with red roses adorning the isle and a plain, but pretty arch at the top of it. It was clear the bride and groom had gone for a classic aesthetic, which looking at the groom's parents made sense.

Eleanor's mother hugged her first, kissing both of her cheeks. Then her father was next, pulling her into a tight embrace that left Will rather taken aback. He wasn't sure when the last time he hugged either of his parents was, especially so easily and casually.

"You look lovely darling," her mother complimented cheerfully, clearly genuine with her opinion.

"Thanks, Mom." Eleanor pulled Will forward by the arm, watching her parents assess him carefully, a hint of wariness in their eyes. It was understandable, since he had come as their only daughter's date, and he had a reputation. Whether they followed, he didn't know, but he hoped they hadn't heard his name before. "This is Will."

However, a wave of relief washed over him when a smile bloomed on the older woman's lips, opening her kind arms to pull him into a rather tight hug. Hesitantly, he allowed it to happen by also wrapping his arms around her back carefully.

"Well aren't you handsome," she said as she pulled back, looking between Eleanor and Will with a mischievous, knowing look on her pretty features. Like Eleanor, her hair was a shade of ginger, though leaning more towards the redder side than her daughter. Unlike the two girls, Eleanor's father's hair was pitch black and wavy, with hints of grey from old age. His smile was also kind, genuine in a way Will's father had never been.

"It's very nice to meet you," Will said politely, shaking the hand Eleanor's father held out. His handshake was firm, but nonthreatening.

"Have you seen Christian today?" Eleanor asked her mother.

"We saw him a few hours ago. He's getting ready with the groomsmen now," she explained. "I was disappointed when you said you didn't want to be a bridesmaid."

Will had heard this once before from his friend during the car journey there. Apparently Christian's fiance had asked Eleanor to be a bridesmaid, but she had refused. From what he could gather, Eleanor wasn't the biggest fan of his brother's future wife, for reasons unknown but he imagined would become clear as the day progressed.

"I don't know her well enough to be a bridesmaid," Eleanor argued, flicking her long hair over her shoulder as they walked to take their seats.

"Don't be ridiculous, you've known her for years," her mother argued.

Though she was sweet, she was exactly like every other mother, really. Pushy and argumentative.

Eleanor and her mother bickered back and forth for a while, and Will took the opportunity to just take a deep breath and relax. In truth, he hadn't felt relaxed since arriving in Seattle. The moment he stepped into that fucking elevator, he knew it was game over for the trip. Parker had trapped him, and he had learned so many things that he wished were still secrets. The more time that went by, the more he felt that his entire relationship was a lie. Did he ever really love Parker? Or did he fall in love with a version of the boy that never really existed?